chamsys magic Q

topsy100

Can you run Chamsys maigicq just on a laptop or do you have to have a wing?

You can run MagicQ just on a laptop. To output DMX you need some form of DMX interface (e.g. usb-DMX), which does not have to be a wing and to use the software just use the mouse to click the buttons on screen. Wings speed up your ability to use the software and make busking easier by giving physical keys rather than having to use the on screen buttons with the mouse.

1414266527[/url]' post='510029']

Hi. I've used magicq with both a USB - DMX converter and with the pc wing. Although it was nice to have the pc wing, my £120 dongle did just as good job. I generally pre program my lighting States onto submasters and mainly run blackout between each state. If you want to cross fade you may find it difficult using just the pc software unles you have a multi touch screen. Having said that you can create theatre stacks on the software so that you need to cross fade less as you can just stack lighting States. You can also use chamsys with art-net if you use that rather than DMX :)

Hope this helps

You can run the software in full for free without needing a wing. You can output Artnet / ACN directly out of MagicQ or if you want a single universe of DMX, then our MagicDMX Basic will give you a single output for £12. The things that are restricted when you only have the MagicDMX connected are remote inputs / remote control from other peoples hardware which generally won't be much of an issue for the majority of cases.

Archived