Hk audio actor / deacon systems

hadlevad

Well we are thinking of getting actor or deacon system, for venue and also as touring rig. Will be used with church band but also with dj's and all sorts, got to be flexible.

Venue is old cinema which isnt that long but has got very high ceilings, which makes it a bit of a nightmare. Have been using EV elminator tops but they are really not up to it.

Capacitiy of venue is prob bout 500.

Thanks a lot

ad

I've never actually seen the Actor series around until the other day when there was a Gig on the pier and they were unloading quite a few monitors and speakers of the van. I wouldn't of known that they were from the Actor series if it didn't have ACTOR written on the side of the cover. I think they look quite nice if I had the money I would buy some. :rolleyes:

Adam

not all the covers have actor etc on them.

my company owns 12 actor systems 12 projector systems, 4 darts, 4 lucas and loads of passive hk cabinets.

we rely on them very much for touring work and hire, have never had a problem and they are just fantastic.

be slightly carefiul when buying now thou as a little birdy told me that eminence drivers (yuck) will be making their way into hk cabs.

they are not the most roadproof of all cabinets (especially the actor tops) as the cabs are mdf so split and flake a lot but you can buy touch up paint from jhs for around 25 quid a bottle.

actor systems sell at around the 6,500 mark, although trade is around 3,400.

a more cost effective solution would be to use DAP soundmate systems (powered hk clones) a copy actor system is 2,500 and performs quite well.

Mark

I've never actually seen the Actor series around until the other day when there was a Gig on the pier and they were unloading quite a few monitors and speakers of the van. I wouldn't of known that they were from the Actor series if it didn't have ACTOR written on the side of the cover. I think they look quite nice if I had the money I would buy some. :unsure:

Adam

It was my company unloading onto the peer!!!!

Bit off topic - but I was considering using eminence drivers to replace some tired drivers in some HK subs that I've allowed to become slightly 'abused'.

Is buying Eminence something I should perhaps think again on? The other alternative that physically will fit (front-back dimension) is Celestion Truvox - any comments on these?

Paul

Bit off topic - but I was considering using eminence drivers to replace some tired drivers in some HK subs that I've allowed to become slightly 'abused'.

Is buying Eminence something I should perhaps think again on? The other alternative that physically will fit (front-back dimension) is Celestion Truvox - any comments on these?

Paul

In all honesty there is nothing wrong with eminence, especially considering their price and great performance, I personally prefer a more expensive driver for more frequency reliability.

I would suggest using a beyma or b&c driver, good prices are found on

www.proaudioparts.co.uk

which hk subs have you got?

Mark

I have been using an actor system for some time, I loved it very compact and great sounding.

The only bug I have with it is the compression factor, if you push it just a little to hard it will supress you.

The sound I find also is best suited for track playback as its is more hifi sounding, rather than rugged for the live instrument situation.

I still have my actor which im selling. (needed something bigger so went down the MA root).

Im also a little person and I can manage to lift the 15" bins around no probs.

I agree with the tops, you do have to look after them as they will chip easy. Although I was told that they were made from stronger material rather than MDF.

I used to put my band through the actor, 3 vocals and track, and people always comented on the sound.

I have put a live drum kit through and guitar ect and I must admit it sounded fuping great, but just didnt have that thump needed for the bass drum.

I would probably add an 18" central sub, just to round it off a bit.

I also used my system with 2 top speakers a side, the Actor only utilises 12" tops and just didnt have the throw I needed so I added an extra pair, and hay presto!! mega sound.

vince

• 2 weeks later...
You will proberly find that all HK audio Products in the powered range and also some of the concert range actually have B&C Drivers all ready fitted and they sound great. Why would you want to change????

• 1 year later...
Has anyone had any experience using hk audio actor or deacon systems?

I regularly use an older style Actor system at a local 350 seated, 600 standing venue here in Falmouth. We have 4 subs and two tops per side which we reconfigure regularly into different size stacks for the bigger rock gigs, musical and drama reinforcement, smaller outside patio shows, lectures, and side fills when we hire in bigger systems. We have been very happy with the open, uncoloured sound, and the reach of the 15" subs, although you do not get the same low end punch as you would from 18". The only problem we have had has been running them close to limiting on the louder shows, with little headroom left to avoid the occasional harsh clip, but that is us expecting a lot more from this affordable mid sized system than was intended, especially considering our budget at the time. We are now looking to upgrade to a bigger model in the HK range as we are happy with the sound, reliability and customer support this brand have given us.

Hope that helps,

Carey

Another Actor fan here, got loads of it, plus some PR112m’s (monitors). It’s just so flexible, small gigs and some corporate you can use the tops, then pile on the subs and more tops for larger events – just keep adding more when the application requires. 1 x sub and a top makes a great drum fill too.

For light touring get the covers from HK, they do offer some protection and the way 1 x top and sub strap together is good for moving through the venue on the wheels, but be careful when you get to the van – suggest you pack the van well or stack separately.

For more hardworking tours it’s worthwhile having some custom cases made especially for the top packs.

If you are on the look out for 2nd hand go for series 2 onwards and as with all stuff ensure you do regular servicing – quite a simple job to strip down the amp module and vacuum / clean out all the dust especially around the fan.

Look after these beauties and they will serve you well.

Archived