Old DMX Controller with Chamsys MagicQ PC

loudwill

Evening all,

I have an old DMX controller (3 years old), it has a midi sockets on the back, Would I be able to control my magic q pc with this controller.

If so, anyone able to shine any light on the subject?

Cheers,

loudwill

I was about to say that's not a midi socket, it's an 8 pin Din - then I realised that your definition of old, and mine are different!

(I think the answer to your question is, not without some other Chamsys bits, but others will know better than me)

Evening all,

I have an old DMX controller (3 years old), it has a midi sockets on the back, Would I be able to control my magic q pc with this controller.

No... MIDI sockets on controllers are nearly always inputs - so you can trigger the lighting from a midi track on a PC for example. You can't use it to trigger something else (and I don't think MagicQ PC can be triggered by midi anyway unless you have a Chamsys wing connected)

It's not worth it. Even if your old desk can output midi, you would need the Chamsys Midi-SMPTE box to get MagicQ to recognize midi. You can only control Playback 1-10. Then you would need a USB-DMX dongle to output DMX from MagicQ. These two combined are not much cheaper than getting a MagicQ Miniwing. If you want the faders from the old desk for (extra) frontlight control I would buy a MagicDMX FULL dongle in order to get DMX-in in Magicq, and merge that DMX. You would still need a wing to work in comfort.

Archived