Rigging EV ELX (Live X)

Matt_Quirk_94

Hey,

I'm currently replacing an old system at work with a set of 4 Electro Voice ELX (12 inch).

http://www.electrovo...uct.php?id=1070

I'm hoping to fly them off the rig which is already installed, which is standard 50mm steel bar.

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas the best rigging hardware to use to fly them from the rig (frames, steal cable,etc) and the best place to purchase from.

Thanks,

Matt

I've looked at the manual and sadly it would appear that there is no flying hardware on the actual cabinet. This is quite unusual for a speaker of that design but I guess it's to keep costs down.

As a result you'd need to get a custom flying yoke made up - which would probably be steel box section around the cabinet, with a 35mm tube sticking into the 'top hat' speaker pole socket to secure it. Such a design is quite common - and you can simply chuck a half coupler on top of it and clamp it straight to your bar.

Can hook you up with a good fabrications company if you need

The LiveX are less than £250 for the un-powered version. I suspect that it's a cost cutting measure too.

Nice looking speaker for £250... (as in - smart appearance, not some horrid plastic tub. No idea how it sounds)

Getting 2 flying yokes made up as I suggested, plus the cost of half couplers, by any self respecting welder will easily cost you that much again. All things considered it might have been better to check they could be flown before you bought them!

The ZLX do have a wall mount bracket/flying frame which we have used to fly the units in Landscape for installations.

Hi Josh,

What speakers do you think are better the Live X's or the ZLX?

I was looking at the Live X range due to them having wooden cases.

Thanks,

Matt

I'll be honest, we bought the ELX when they were brand new and like them. We have since sold a lot of the ZLX (and are looking at adding to hire stock) as they're tonally quite similar but a bit lighter (IIRC) and have the fly brackets for installs.

Josh

• 1 year later...

Archived