What is this Mic? 1980's retro help needed.

Mark Payne

So I am researching something

At 3:38 on this youtube

(and in other places). You will see Phil Collins' vocal mic. Its not a Beyer M88, which is what I was expecting.

Yes I know it looks like an SM57 but surely its not?

This is the 1980 Genesis Duke Tour. I am pretty positive Phil was a Beyer Dynamic endorsee at this point. Is there a Beyer mic that looks like this?

I appreciate many of you were unborn at this point in history. I was 17. This was my first rock gig (Genesis Duke Tour at Derby Assembly Rooms).

What is that mic?

M

Mark

It's a sm57

Regards

Dan

So I am researching something

At 3:38 on this youtube

(and in other places). You will see Phil Collins' vocal mic. Its not a Beyer M88, which is what I was expecting.

This is the 1980 Genesis Duke Tour. I am pretty positive Phil was a Beyer Dynamic endorsee at this point. Is there a Beyer mic that looks like this?

I appreciate many of you were unborn at this point in history. I was 17. This was my first rock gig (Genesis Duke Tour at Derby Assembly Rooms).

What is that mic?

M

Why not? It wasn't so unusual to use them for vocals.

I think it probably looks like an SM57 because it is one. :)

Edit to add:

Dur. Because you think it would have been a Beyer. Failure to RTFOP, soz.

Amazing how many times I've heard or read of the humble '57 capturing lead vocals on studio albums of that time. Seem to recall seeing some Peter Gabriel "So" session video clips with a '57 used there, with monitoring from a ghetto-blaster in the null zone behind the mic. I *love* the vocal sound on that album, so was surprised to hear it may have been a '57, and apparently without a pop-shield...

Archived