Martin Magnum Hazer

lightsource

I've just been given a 'faulty' Martin Magnum Hazer.

Had a quick look at it, and it seemed fine, except the fluid bottle and pipe were empty. I've filled the fluid tank with a 50/50 mix of distilled white vinegar / distilled water and tried to prime it.

The fluid is moving through the pipe, but very slowly (about 10cm over the last hour) and the prime function appears to do nothing.

There is still a whisper of fog coming out of it, so there can't be a total blockage in the heat exchanger.

Would you say it's the pump? or should I let the cleaning fluid 'chug' through and see what happens?

There's no kinks or twists in the plastic pipe.

Cheers all.

When you run Prime you should hear the pump run at full whack, normally it just goes ticky ticky to send small pulses of fluid through.

If it's been dry, the pump o-rings might not be in good condition. If you fancy a bit of mouth-to-mouth (mmm vinegar) you can blow the fluid down the pipe, or squirt it in with a syringe.

When you run Prime you should hear the pump run at full whack, normally it just goes ticky ticky to send small pulses of fluid through.

If it's been dry, the pump o-rings might not be in good condition. If you fancy a bit of mouth-to-mouth (mmm vinegar) you can blow the fluid down the pipe, or squirt it in with a syringe.

Cheers Tim, disconnected the pump from the heat exchanger, and the pump seems to works fine. Got a load of fluid on the workbench :blink:

It's definatley a blockage in the heat exchanger. Disconnected that too from the pump, and forced the cleaning fluid through it. (Don't ask, but syringes, plastic pipe and steam under pressure).

I now have the cleaning solution coming out the other end ( all back together now), but at a very slow rate, so the question now is,

Should I keep trying with the cleaning solution, or is a new heat exchanger in order ?

In normal haze mode the fluid pump rate is very low. You can just see bubbles creeping along the pipe. In prime mode it's much faster. If you don't get lots of fluid through in prime mode then you probably need a new heater block.

Cheers Tim, It's the heat exchanger that is totally blocked. Managed to flush some cleaning fluid through it for a while, but now it's totally blocked. In the early stages, with the help of some guitar strings, ;) managed to get some black soot out of it, but it needs replacing.

Any idea who the best supplier for parts is? Google is not my friend on this one.........

Just so you know, it's the original (discontinued) Martin Magnum Hazer.

I know Martins Tech Support details, just wondering if there were any preferred suppliers or people out there, as it seems to be an expensive item to replace.

Edit to add, time is not an issue, the earliest job I want to use it on is not until mid October.

Ring Jem service in Louth, 01507 604399, although part of the mighty Martin (now Harman) empire they are still small and approachable and your most likely source of help.

The only possible other option would be to find a broken one on ebay but as the most likely fault is a clogged heater block I don't think this will help you much.

• 3 years later...

Archived