rackmount metronome?

peza2010

hi all.

looking for a rack mount metronome to add to the front of house rack for one of the bands I work with.

in an ideal world it would have a set list function, so you can just click to the nezt preset rather than dialing in a new tempo.

audio out on xlr would be nice but not essential

and a "visual" metronome on the front would be nice.

The only thing I can seem to find is the berry btr2000 which is actually a tuner with built in metronome,and I would like something built for purpose rather than as an add on.

seems to be a bit of a gap in the market.

cheers, George

thanks for the suggestions.

I cant help but feel they are still a little bit ott for what they need. I dont really want the "hassle"(I know its not hard to create click track in a daw, but still more work than I want to do)

also backing vocals are all covered by the large band, and timecode etc isnt needed or wanted as its a funk/dub band where breakdown sections of the track happen for an undetermined length of time based on croud reaction.

I may just buy the berry from thomann and send it back if it doesnt do what I want it to.

keep your suggestions coming though.

I would say a rack guitar tuner is your best bet to be honest... metronome is such a lo-tech piece of technology there is no reason it shouldn't be grouped with other features!

There are also a whole host of rackmount samplers you could snap up on ebay now for very little as everyone has gone software... many of these will do a simple metronome click, or connect to MIDI from a tablet or something, for easier hands on control.

Pretty much any MIDI recording/playback device will do nicely, with the advantage you can have clicks, and programme tempo changes mid-song, and most have setlists in some fashion. Sledgehammer to crack a nut, but when has that ever stopped anyone.

Also, there used to be a 1u box available that displayed MIDI clock as a swinging beat across a row of LEDs, but I cant formulate a google search that finds it, so well hidden is it.

quite clearly a rackmount tuner is where you should be looking. Regardless if it is not its primary function what you are referring to is available in battery operated box no bigger than the size of you hand, its not exactly computationally intensive. Lets not get silly your on a budget.

I'm a bit confused why they want a click from foh, if there are no tracks to play to? Surely the drummer could have a normal metronome if his tempo sense is rubbish. Watch the light, play, done. I'm guessing but perhaps the drummer is rubbish at pushing buttons, so you have to do it for him? Whenever I work with bands who use clicks or tracks, the drummer usually gets the job because he's the time lock.

It's such a strange request I suspect that's why a dedicated rack unit isn't needed, who would buy it (well, more than one)

I'm a bit confused why they want a click from foh, if there are no tracks to play to? Surely the drummer could have a normal metronome if his tempo sense is rubbish. Watch the light, play, done. I'm guessing but perhaps the drummer is rubbish at pushing buttons, so you have to do it for him? Whenever I work with bands who use clicks or tracks, the drummer usually gets the job because he's the time lock.

It's such a strange request I suspect that's why a dedicated rack unit isn't needed, who would buy it (well, more than one)

well regardless or which end of the multicore it comes from it wants to be in a rack anyway.

essentially foh operator has control because tempos move during the course of the track, so the ability to take it out of the mix, kick the tempo up or down and then bring it back in while the drummer has is hands full is a must,and as mentioned above this happens at different times every gig,so cant be tracked.

if that works for them great, but the idea of the band being 'controlled' this way is bizarre to me - I just can't visualise a drummer being able to respond this way at all - but I guess it's not really much different to a conductor is it?

Archived