JEM ZR33 Hi-MASS DMX

tony97

Hi I have recently acquired a new jem ZR33 Hi-Mass in our venue however I cannot seem to get it to work with my lighting desk an Avo pearl 2000. is there anyone who has managed to do this?

yes, often... are you just patching it as a dimmer?

Does it work ok with the manual controls on the back? We use our ZR33 regularly just patched, as Tim says, as a single dimmer channel. Not on an Avo, admittedly, but we've used it on ETC Ion, Strand 300, GSX and 6 way manual DMX slider pack.

yes I tried finjding a fixture profile on avolites but I was unsuccessful...

Hi I have recently acquired a new jem ZR33 Hi-Mass in our venue however I cannot seem to get it to work with my lighting desk an Avo pearl 2000. is there anyone who has managed to do this?

yes, often... are you just patching it as a dimmer?

Does it work ok with the manual controls on the back? We use our ZR33 regularly just patched, as Tim says, as a single dimmer channel .

yes the manual controls work but I tried patching it as a single dimmer and it did not work

Well there's 2 things could go wrong, assuming the thing itself is working ...

1. You haven't got the dip switches set right. Try patching your dimmer at address 001 and set the switches to 1 on, all others off.

2. DMX problem - can you plug something else in to test? Or take the zr33 to the console

it shows the Valid DMX light and when I remove the DMX it goes out so the signal seems ok, yes I set the dipswitch to the correct address as I only used 001.

Um OK so if you view the DMX output on the Pearl, can you see channel 1 going up and down?

Have you patched it on the right DMX output line?

Are you sure you've got the dip switches the right way up (sorry if this seems really obvious, but I have lost count of the times people have set switch 1 "off" and all the rest "on"). The dip switches normally have a little arrow on saying which way is "on"

Are you sure you've got the dip switches the right way up (sorry if this seems really obvious, but I have lost count of the times people have set switch 1 "off" and all the rest "on"). The dip switches normally have a little arrow on saying which way is "on"

Ho yus - climbed up to an atomic that wasn't working to find exactly that - the address was completely inverted. Easily done.

Have you tried it on a different address? I recall an occasion a few years ago where I addressed a Jem machine to a certain address (think it was 512) and it didnt like it - may have been a faulty dipswitch. Another address worked fine,

A temporary solution may be to unscrew the controller from the back of the unit and place it next to your avo, using a 3 pin line (perhaps your sound multi) to get signal between the two.

I had a similar problem with a ZR33 on a festival a few weeks ago. Set to DMX address 001 with it patched on Chamsys as a dimmer, fist fixture in the chain. Worked fine for the first 4 hours, then just would not respond. Rest of the rig responded as normal, checked the address and nothing changed. Changed to a different address, repatched but still not output. Had to take it out of the chain and put it on auto, it still worked fine in manual mode. Would have used the controller but digital snakes make it kind of difficult :-)

Never did work out what went wrong with it, haven't tested it since.... Any ideas?

Archived