Par 64 wire sets

Alec97

Hi I have been given 8 par 64 cans but they all need rewiring, the insulation on the wires inside the cans has cracked and mostly fallen off exposing the bear wires so I need to replace them all. Just looking at some options for a rewire This at thomann http://www.thomann.de/gb/dts_parsafe_par_64_cl2.htm looks like the wire is only two core what about the earth ? They need earthing right ? Before the earth came in through the cable and then was bolted to the can and the positive and negative went to the ceramic connector block then to the ceramic lamp holder . So would the assembly be any good from thomann without an earth ? Or is this http://www.stage-electrics.co.uk/shop/sales/lighting/product.aspx?code=533-5691 Better because it has an earth ?

Suggestions welcome

Thanks

You need to make sure the cable is fed into the can using a suitable cable gland to ensure the double insulated cable cannot be damaged by the metal. Then the double insulated parsafe is suitable as there is only mains voltage on the lamp holder, which is fulley enclosed by the parsafe.

You need to make sure the cable is fed into the can using a suitable cable gland to ensure the double insulated cable cannot be damaged by the metal. Then the double insulated parsafe is suitable as there is only mains voltage on the lamp holder, which is fulley enclosed by the parsafe.

I have always run with the rule that if the gland is going into the can (ie via a metal casing) and not directly onto the parsafe, then an earth bond to the case is required.

1404422163[/url]' post='503288']
1404399363[/url]' post='503255']

I have always run with the rule that if the gland is going into the can (ie via a metal casing) and not directly onto the parsafe, then an earth bond to the case is required.

Is that so mmm but surely because it's plastic it's an insulator and any broken insulation on the cable inside the gland would be still insulated from the metal of the can ? Is it a requirement ? Will it fail pat tests if the can itself has no earth ?

The only replacement PAR wiring sets I have seen have been the type with the flying earth lead for connection to the earth point provided on the back shell of the unit.

If the bit that carries the electric worms is adequately insulated from plug to ceramic, and is appropriately glanded, then it could be double insulated, but it is a new one on me.

Where the original cans earthed or not ?

If they were, then they should still be !

Easy.

Wrong though, if the original wiring set was not double insulated the can may have been earthed, but when you replace it with a double insulated one, then you don't need to earth it any more.

Archived