Ion absolute effects

Ryster

Hi,

I have some LED fixtures with RGB, I'm trying to set up some chases with them. I've got the default Hue/Sat etc.. effects working, but what I'd like it a colour chase similar to a generic Red/Green/Blue wash with parcans.

So for example:

Step 1 - Red

Step 2 - Green

Step 3 - Blue

Step 4 - Yellow

Step 5 - Purple

and so on...

I've created my colour palettes and made an absolute effect where step 1 is colour palette 1, step 2 is colour palette 2 etc... When I run the effect though, it fades the units from Red to Green to Blue, but I want to snap them! So all LEDs are Red, then they snap to Blue. I've tried playing with the settings but can't seem to find any combination that gives the desired result. Please help!

EDIT: For clarity, when I say "fades the units from Red to Green", I'm talking about the colour parameter, not intensity. I just want to snap from colour Red to colour Green.

Regards

I just created an effect like that in the offline editor. Each step's level is a colour palette, and the steps are set to duration 0, dwell 1. When this effect is run across a set of RGB fixtures they snap from one colour to the next (becasue the step duration is zero), staying in each colour for 1 second (the dwell time). Does that give you the effect you're after?

I just created an effect like that in the offline editor. Each step's level is a colour palette, and the steps are set to duration 0, dwell 1. When this effect is run across a set of RGB fixtures they snap from one colour to the next (becasue the step duration is zero), staying in each colour for 1 second (the dwell time). Does that give you the effect you're after?

You want to set the action time to 0 and add a dwell time of 0.5, 1 etc etc.

You may also want to set the grouping to 1 if you want all the channels to be in the same colour at the same time.

Thanks guys, problem solved, now I'm happy :-) It's always the simple things that you miss isn't it! Next question is, where do I find the "Stop Effect" command, I know I used to get to it via a soft key, but I can't find where it's hidden now...?

Channels (or Group) Effect Enter will also stop any effects running on those channels.

Thanks, I already had that one. The other thing I miss on the Ion is a "tap tempo" button for the speed of chases. Busking a show is a real drag, you can't get a chase in time with the beat easily. As far as I can tell you have to run the effect and then change the rate with the encoder wheel. This is really dull, a tempo button I can use to match the chase to the beat first is needed so when I bring up the effect it's already in time!

Changing the rate of a chase "on the fly" just takes far too long and looks messy. Shame really.

If the chase is on a sub you can set it to fade by rate instead of fade by size, not useful for intensity chases, but good for other parameters, such as this colour chase.

That's good to know, I'll give that a try. It's still a messy solution that other desks had solved long ago with a tempo button. I really don't like busking shows on the Ion, but it's all we've got so there's no other choice. Even the Leap Frog does busking better!

Hmm...I'm sure I read something in a recentish release note about a tap to set speed option- I won't be on a computer until later this evening, but ot might be worth having a glance through the manual/2.2 release notes!

Hmm...I'm sure I read something in a recentish release note about a tap to set speed option- I won't be on a computer until later this evening, but ot might be worth having a glance through the manual/2.2 release notes!

Release notes for 2.1.0/2.1.1/2.1.2 state "BMP and tap rate for effects", I'm trying to find out more information on that... As in, how has it been implemented? Can't see anything in the release notes that go into any more detail than that.

Okay, from the supplement manual for 2.1.0:

There are two different ways for assigning BPM to effects:

Directly setting BPM

--------------------

If you know the BPM, you can assign that directly to the effect by using the {BPM} softkey, which is available when in the effect editor display.

• [Effect] [1] {BPM} [1][9][0] [Enter] - sets the BPM of effect 1 to 190. - The step times will be adjusted for step-based effects, or the time/dwell will be adjusted for absolute effects.

The BPM will display on the right side of the effect editor beside the effect number/label. Editing the cycle time, the step time for a step-based effect, or the time/dwell for an absolute effect will remove the BPM.

Learning BPM

------------

If you don't know the desired BPM, you can learn the BPM.

From Live, with the effect running:

•[Effect] [1] [Learn] [Time] - posts Effect 1 Learn Time Sample BPM to the command line, and opens the effect editor display.

While in this mode, press [Enter] to establish the BPM. The console will use an average of the last four times you press [Enter] in this mode to calculate the BPM. Pressing [Learn] again will stop this mode. In this mode, every time the BPM changes, a live running effect will be modified accordingly without stopping.

This is a nice addition, but sadly for the tap button to work, the effect still has to be running first. I don't see that you can sync the effect to the beat before making it live.

Regards

Archived