p audio vs b&c HF drivers

S&L

I have a pair of adlib 15" plus horn cabs, I have had them for 3 or 4 years and they are probably 12 years or so old - loaded with B&C main drivers and HF drivers.

each HF driver is 1" bolt on to a B&C horn.

I replaced one hf diaphragm when I bought these cabs and the other has remained in there - seeing duty every other week doing smaller bar gigs.

the remaining original diaphragm has now died and I need to source a replacement

(DE16-8 or DE160)

the problem is no one seems to have any and despite having dealt with Proel (b&c dealer in the UK) they have been hard work dealing with this time and I can't get them to return phone calls much less tell me what they have in stock. blue aran appear to be having a similar problem and not many are listing the diaphragm - no one inside the EU is showing stock.

So I am thinking about swapping for a p-audio driver (bm-d450) which is probably only £15 more than a b&c diaphragm. both are industry standard bolt on 1" and both are rated at 60w, 8 ohm.

the p-audio appears to be fitted in some of turbosound boxes (as b&c have been in the past) and the turbosounds are a comparable quality to the adlibs.

My thinking is that:

1. I can pick up the driver off the shelf and get on with replacement

2. the p-audio appear to be widely stocked for spares in the future

3. their diaphragms are cheap enough to buy in for spares

obviously this gives me un-matched boxes but I can always offset any audible difference with a geq in the short term and would look to swap the second one to match at a later date.

I just wanted to check with wiser heads that I hadn't missed anything and wasn't being monumentally stupid or that it turns out that the replacements are considered to be lousy.

Why not just speak to dave Fletcher at adlib, he is very helpful?

thanks Dale - already been there with the previous hf driver when I bought the boxes a few years ago. However, since the drivers are b&c, All Dave can do is point me in the direction of B&C's distributor, proel. which is what he did last time (nice chap, as helpful as he could be).

Archived