Creating a leafy garden

barn01

Hi

I need to create a leafy garden effect for a daytime scene - I have some breakup leafy gobos but I'm unsure what kind of colours to use. Any recommendations from previous experience ? Green seems a bit too obvious :-)

Thanks,

I need to create a leafy garden effect for a daytime scene - I have some breakup leafy gobos but I'm unsure what kind of colours to use. Any recommendations from previous experience ? Green seems a bit too obvious :-)

Find a leafy garden and have a look at what the light is like... there is a lot of green light reflected off the foliage, but you get bright rays of sunlight coming through. There are a lot of ways to do this, it depends on the style you are going for.

I would probably backlight in green with a warm colour from the front and warm or open white breakup gobos from overhead.

Maybe some Fern green (L122) or pale green (L1`38) with some straw (L103) or no colour straw (L159) plus some daylight (L202). Splitting the gels in the frames can work quite well, and combining that with projecting more than one breakup with more than one combination of colour stops it looking too monochromatic. Don't have the edge too sharp on your gobo, either, erring on the brown side rather than the blue side..

Go out into a wooded area in sunlight and get a feel for the colours. The green is actually quite muted unless you look directly at the trees, but the main light is a dappled mixed of shadow and sunlight.

Beaten to it by Alister!! - but yes, definitely go for split colour in the gel frame.

Dont just go for the common old med. leaf breakup though. There's some lovely other types of dapple breakups available......

Colour-wise it entirely depends on the mood you want to set, atmosphere you want to create, continuity with your overall design concept, continuity with the production design, etc, but failing any further information I'd consider something along the lines of 138 or 244. Anything in that region will look sensible, and you can get very suggestive with some subtle variation - 733 will work for example, but it certainly isn't a very 'happy' colour compared to 138. Get a swatchbook and have a play; at the end of the day it's your design!

On the subject of split gels, a split gel will add some 'depth' for sure, but don't do it 'just because' - do it because it supports the concept you have in mind.

Beaten to it by Alister!! - but yes, definitely go for split colour in the gel frame.

Dont just go for the common old med. leaf breakup though. There's some lovely other types of dapple breakups available......

Yeah - definitely this - you can get some nice colouring with breakups very cheaply using split colour or cut colour. It's not a precise technique but can produce lovely results.

Archived