QLab Key Mapping

ninjadingle

Hi all,

Is it possible to remap the "Panic All" function that Escape currently performs? I'd like to use a USB keypad to control my shows, but want to have the Panic finction on there to. I used to have it with Multiplay (Fade All on the backspace button) and now I've moved to Mac would like a similar way of working if possible!

Thanks for your thoughts....

Hi all,

Is it possible to remap the "Panic All" function that Escape currently performs? I'd like to use a USB keypad to control my shows, but want to have the Panic finction on there to. I used to have it with Multiplay (Fade All on the backspace button) and now I've moved to Mac would like a similar way of working if possible!

Thanks for your thoughts....

It isn't possible from within QLab - this is intentional as indicated on the QLab mailing list when this came up last year (https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qlab/r7C_-4vCXjw/rRFeJQ7IGoMJ) but you could probably invoke some sort of custom key mapping program that would take another key on the keyboard and press the Esc key whenever the other key is pressed. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that can do this though...

Jevans - did't find that. Thanks for sharing.

Andrew - Thanks for the thought - not sure I'd be happy using that on a show - the fact their tag line is "powerful and stable" indicates to me maybe it hasn't been stable in the past = problems I don't want mid show.

Guess I'll stick to reaching over the mixer for the Esc key! Thanks anyhow.

Whilst you can't re-map the escape key, you can use midi controls (if you have a midi license) and use a midi button box/drum pad to map a midi command to the 'stop all' command.

I have used a kong nano pad as a remote, and currently use a vestax pad one as a remote (it has light up buttons, where as the nano pad does not.)

Current project for another job, will be to make a 4 button remote, that can be remoted via 2 xlr's, hooked up to an alesis drum I/o trigger box. Limited to note on/off commands, but will serve a purpose, and cheaper the the midi solutions F8 that we would normally hire.

Neil

The USB button PeterT linked to isn't PC only per-se. Once programmed it definitely works on a Mac (I'm using one to fire Qlab's go button). It just appears as a standard human interface device. The software to program it is Windows only however. Once it's programmed you shouldn't need to use it again, so you could borrow a PC to set it up and you'd then be sorted. I really like mine and it gets a fair bit of use. When it first arrived I thought it was a bit cheap and plastic-y, but it's survived well and it's so simple there's nothing really to go wrong. I stuck a piece of blacktack to mine as it's a little light weight to stay in position if you just leave it sat on a desk.

Archived