Strand show file conversion

gareth

whats the point?

Errr ... surprisingly enough, the point is that I have a show on disk from a 520 that I need to load into a GSX next week. :D

I hardly ever come across GSXs or LBXs, but I'm reliably informed that a .ssf show file from a 500-series won't load into them. If anyone can tell me otherwise, then great. But if not, ideally I need some way to do a conversion. (I could sit there and crunch in 57 cues manually, but I'm a lazy sod so if there's a way to pull them off the 500 disk that's what I want to do!)

This might be a silly question - but I thought GSX/LBX's ran of the same software, or are from the same family of software?

Or is this not the case (I've only used a GSX once, and that was a while back!)

Stu

This might be a silly question - but I thought GSX/LBX's ran of the same software, or are from the same family of software?

Well, GSX/LBX do run a variation of the Genius software, but AIUI it's a very different animal from the 300 and 500 operation software.

Like you, I haven't used a GSX for absolutely ages - it's very rarely that I encounter them, as I don't often find myself working in the kind of venue that's likely to have one - so I don't know whether I can simply throw a 500-series show disk into the drive and load the cues into a GSX.

Hmm I can't even think of a venue with a GSX - probably getting rare nowadays!

Still, be interested to hear if it works.

Stu

(EDIT: Ah I have thought of one, trust me to forget a venue I cassy at :D )

Gareth, I know you can load a GSX file on a 500 series with no problems, but I'm not sure if it works the other way round. The actual file type is the same for both consoles (*.ssf) Strand have a show port converter to convert .ssf to ASCII but I'm not sure that's going to help. I know the file must be renamed strand.ssf for the GSX to load it.

As athought try downloading the Off line editor (I can't see it in the archives, but if you email strand thet might send it to you) and replace the strand.ssf file in the shows folder with your file renamed to match. Then restart the OLE and see if your show comes up. If it does then it's a fair bet it will load onto a GSX.

Hope that's a help

Peter

Strand lighting Software Archive

As athought try downloading the Off line editor (I can't see it in the archives, but if you email strand thet might send it to you)

If you just download the software and run the EXE, there is an option to install it as an OLE

Would also recomend playing with the OLE, that be the easiest way to see if it will work. If it doesnt then it means you can offline the show at home instead of punching numbers at the venue (would guess its the same amount of work)

Also - if it is a venue you not used before, find out how many channels there software version is for - 25/50/75/100/125 (probably already have done but jus thought)...

I have access to a GSX if there's anything I can do to help.

As others have already suggested, there is a GSX/LBX offline editor available, which you could try things out with.

One thing to be aware of is that the floppy disk drive in the GSX is 720k only - and thus your show needs to be saved onto a low density floppy (or a re-formatted HD one with a bit of LX tape over the hole opposite the write protect tab).

Good luck!

Marc

One thing to be aware of is that the floppy disk drive in the GSX is 720k only - and thus your show needs to be saved onto a low density floppy (or a re-formatted HD one with a bit of LX tape over the hole opposite the write protect tab).

The later versions are able to read and write to 1.44 meg disks but can only format in 720k.

I have both GSX and 300 series available for questioning (but not until Friday as our end of year show is now on and it's MANIC TIME :D

Well, I'm not going to lose any sleep over this one. It's just that if I can find a way to avoid having to crunch numbers into the GSX, using those awful little white buttons that it has, then it'll make my day that little bit nicer.

FWIW, I've e-mailed the show file down to the electrician at the venue concerned and asked him to try it in the desk - he's going to give it a go tomorrow and let me know whether it works. I'll report back ....

Archived