Cobblestone

clapagelighting

I am lighting a production of Oliver soon and want to create a cobblestone effect using gobos on the stage as there is no floor cloth/painted floor being used and I was just wondering how other people have achieved this, Does it work better with the gobos coming from upstage or downstage? Is a shallow or steep angle best in peoples experience?

Thanks.

If you're using gobos to create cobblestones on a stage floor, you'll need to do it from directly above, not from upstage or downstage - otherwise, the keystoning of the image from each gobo will make it impossible to dove-tail one into the other neatly.

I'm afraid I'd want to counsel differently. It's going to use up loads of kit and mean that the cast are walking around with their hair looking very strange most of the time (you'll see the gobos on their hair before it hits the floor). For a realistic show like Oliver, you'd do a lot better to buy some hardboard (very cheap) and paint it with a sponge. Just a thought.

I totally agree Josh! Thats how I would prefer to do it. The wide angle was just a budget saving tip, although as JSB says - the better thing to do is paint them on. Its quite easy enough to blob around a floor with a car sponge. :D

Archived