Projection for Outdoor Cinema

SamDram

Having looked into it a while ago, I was also under the impression there was an element of locking a server to a physical location, which made it much harder to move them around as in a rental situation. Back then IIRC it was also to do with where the HDD's with the movie file were sent too, in an attempt to ensure they couldn't get posted to a bootleggers home and be ripped off.

Physical location not a technical issue; if the server with IMB and DCI projector are moved whilst powered off and only powered on again once re-cabled, then I see no reason why it shouldn't work. The IMB and projectors have battereis in them to monitor the integrity of the protection continuously, so you cant tamper with the actual boxes themselves.

The transit disks with the DCP files on them are not a security item; the content is encrypted, and it is believed it works well enough to prevent the content leaking, at least prior to DVD and BluRay release. No keys, no decrypt.

And, as an aside, because the keys are time locked, the IMBs also monitor your time; the system needs to stay within (I think) six minutes of reality, so NTP is pretty much mandatory to keep clocks syncronised.

Yes you're right, the DCPs I produced were not encrypted so did not need a key for playout.

A very interesting read, thank you, I hadn't realised that a chain of DCI compliant hardware was required!

So yes- I suppose rental of such a thing is a tricky one!

Archived