Sennheiser XS Radio Mics - running 12 ways

partyadz

Hi all

I understand from the Sennheiser that you can run 12 ways of the XS series at once - has anyone tried this and had a successful result?

Sennheiser say you cannot switch between the frequency banks, and suggest the following to run 12 units at once (GB Model Bank 1 on Ch 38):

Looks like a bit of a squeeze to me, so just wondered success rates of others, and if you choose different frequencies from those suggested above.

Cheers

A

I've followed Sennheiser's planners for a long time, and never had problems - in fact, the only time I get problems are when working with less channels on different spacings - often to squeeze in to gaps others have left!

The ASA1s can be used in 1:8 mode (rather than 2 x 1:4) which means you can use one pair of aerials to split between eight receivers.

To do any more than that you would need to put some sort of split upstream of the ASA1s. Sennheiser offer various passive splitters, but they seem very expensive for what they are, it's significantly cheaper, for example, to buy an extra pair of omnidirectional paddles. (Plus more versatile if you split the systems up to cover two smaller jobs) There are other ways to achieve a passive split that may work out cheaper, but you need to make sure there is DC blocking so that the DC supply on the ASA1 inputs isn't shorted together.

Are you looking to rent, or buy this equipment?

The TOA aerial amp is the WD4800.

However you may be best to just use it for aerial distribution, and ignore the power distribution that it offers. The leads supplied probably won't fit XS systems - they definitely don't fit G3 systems, and I think the same connector is used on XS.

Using the ASA 1 you can do up to 16 channels with only a pair of antenna. this would require up to 5 ASA 1 units.

To do this you would have 1 ASA-1 for each 4 receivers and then these ASA-1's get there A and B input from a Master ASA-1.

This would give you a tidy solution for both RF and Power.

With regard to getting 12 channels in to one RF Channel the most important thing to do these days is to use the scan feature to make sure the band preset will take all 12 channels without interference.

Shure and Sennheiser both provide RF Management software so you can plot your channels and get the most out of the available space.

this would require up to 5 ASA 1 units.

To do this you would have 1 ASA-1 for each 4 receivers and then these ASA-1's get there A and B input from a Master ASA-1.

Can you do this without causing problems with the DC supplies? (i.e. you're connecting a BNC output (which has a voltage present, used to supply the receivers) onto a BNC input (which also has a voltage present, supplying antenna line amps etc.)

Archived