Insurance for casual lighting work

Ekij

There has been lots of discussion on insurance but it appears to be all for full time employment in the industry.

I am in full time employment outside the lighting industry but enjoy working on lighting when I get the opportunity on a casual basis.

What concerns me is, when do I need (liability) insurance and can I get an insurance policy that takes into consideration the infrequent nature of my work. I don't want to be paying hundreds of pounds a year in insurance for work that pays well under that! :(

Is it ‘safe’ to work the desk with no insurance?

I assume that any attempt to hang lights would require insurance (in case one falls on someone) but what about fitting Gels to lights that are already hung, would it be safe to do this as if the light fell I had not hung it (or would I still be at risk as ‘the last to work on the fitting’).

Even rigging lights at ground level isn't ‘safe’ as there is a risk of someone tripping on a power lead or burning themselves on a hot lantern.

Can anyone point me in the direction of an insurance company that does insurance for people who are only in the industry for a handful of days a year (at an appropriately small rate)?

I'm guessing that your full-time employment is something in which PLI is not at all appropriate, otherwise you might be able to change the conditions on existing insurance.

There may (and I'm entirely guessing here) be an option to get insurance on an 'ad hoc' basis similar to getting travel insurance for just one trip.

There have been various threads on PLI. Start here for links to various companies.

EDIT: I've updated the link so that it actually works. Sorry bout that

If your working as a casual, and by this I mean employed by a venue on a when needed basis, and paid by the hour and taxed/NI'd at source then you should be covered under the venue's insurances.

Stu

I'm guessing that your full-time employment is something in which PLI is not at all appropriate
Correct.
Start here for links to various companies.
The link is not working for me, can you check it?
If your working as a casual, and by this I mean employed by a venue on a when needed basis, and paid by the hour and taxed/NI'd at source then you should be covered under the venue's insurances.
The venue in question does not work this way. They hire out the theatre to groups and let the groups organise someone on the desk. The venue is happy to pass on the contact details of casuals like myself but they are employed by the groups hiring the theatre, not by the theatre itself. This makes me nervous. Would I be covered under the insurance the group has (should have)?

Obviously the theatre has insurance but if a lantern falls after I've been focusing it could I be considered liable?

The venue in question does not work this way. They hire out the theatre to groups and let the groups organise someone on the desk. The venue is happy to pass on the contact details of casuals like myself but they are employed by the groups hiring the theatre, not by the theatre itself. This makes me nervous. Would I be covered under the insurance the group has (should have)?

Obviously the theatre has insurance but if a lantern falls after I've been focusing it could I be considered liable?

If your employed by the group then yes you should be covered by their insurance, however are you really employed paye, ni contributions etc or are you working on a sub contractor basis?

I would concurr and say bectu is your best bet, get their insurance, better safe than sorry, but clarify your status with the group/s your working for.

I wouldn't mind betting that the Inland Revenue would consider you 100% an employee, even though your income doesn't come from them. In the accounts of the visiting company you would be considered a venue expense. Certainly if there's any payment relating to hours working, then you're going to be an employee of someone? Even if the venue claim no direct control of you, you use their premises, operate their equipment and no doubt have access to areas locked up and off limits to the incoming company. So - the question of payment source just complicates it. That said, the venue should have insurance for activities that take place in their venue. Nowadays, ducking out of insurance is crazy with the claim culture we now have.

Having your own is almost certainly the best idea - just in case. More worrying is probably your tax status. Cash in hand never is nowadays - you can always be pretty sure the person paying out the cash includes you in their accounts as a self-employed subcontractor so they can offset a bit off tax. Even if you don't present an invoice, they'l have ways around it. And if they get an inspection - your details pop up and you get a nice letter asking you round for a 'chat'.

Guest lightnix

As stormster said, it's certainly something you should clarify with the venue and with any visiting companies. Don't be afraid to point out to them that, as you are (presumably) not registered as self-employed with the IR, you carry no PLI of your own and need reassurance, in writing, that you are covered by somebody else's policy, preferably with the name of their insurer and a copy of the policy / certificate of insurance.

...you can always be pretty sure the person paying out the cash includes you in their accounts as a self-employed subcontractor so they can offset a bit off tax. Even if you don't present an invoice, they'l have ways around it. And if they get an inspection - your details pop up and you get a nice letter asking you round for a 'chat'.

ONE MORE TIME (yawn, altogether now, because I'm not going to keep repeating myself forever - promise :P )...

Self-employed status is not decided by the employer or their accountants / bookeepers, it is decided by the Inland Revenue, in accordance with the IR56 regulations. Should the Revenue decide that you are / have been working under terms and conditions which, in their eyes, class you as an employee, it is the employer who is responsible for any outstanding tax / NI liability. The Revenue will take the money you have received as being the nett pay, for which Income Tax and NI are payable by the employer (with interest in the case of arrears).

Even so, you should still record any additional income on your annual Tax Return. Should the IR pursue you for tax on this amount, then you should appeal on the grounds that you are a casual / temporary employee of these companies and that, as such, any outstanding tax / NI liabilities fall with them and not you, under the IR56 regs. Make sure you keep full records of all such monies received, along with full details (names, addresses, etc.) of the people who employ you, to pass on to the taxman, should the need arise.

If in any doubt, seek the advice / services of a professional accountant or at least your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

I hope this doesn't scare you off, it's not meant to. Good on you for having the conscience to question your situation :( Please keep us all updated.

Archived