Remote control 01v96

GBSpeirs37

Can anyone tried this? There is a church with a very low budget which most often has no audio operators. I want to set up to ten scenes on an 01v96 and install a box in the pulpit so that he can simply press one of ten buttons for whichever part of the service he is at e.g. Announcements, Prayer, Communion, Sermon, Sermon with audio playback from laptop, etc, etc. It needs to be as reliable as possible, hence wired midi control from the pulpit to the desk (under 20 metres). Was considering the Korg nanoPAD Midi Pad Controller which is USB out. Would appreciate thoughts on how do do this.

The nanopad is really annoying, not having the old-style midi plug. I've come across several situations where it would have been useful, if it had normal MIDI.

Anyway, unless you want to make life extremely complicated, you need something with "normal" MIDI out (5 pin DIN). This guy

http://www.midi-hardware.com/

makes some good MIDI pcbs which you could use to hack something up.

Your remote control concept is good and I have seen it done successfully like that.

I believe Orbital sound have made a usb to midi box to use the midi cue buttons on their PM1D 's, you would have to ring them.

a lot of theatre productions use hand made looking boxes with a few buttons on the for stop go next prev etc connected by midi. It is possible you could build one, or get a company that makes them for theatre to make one for you.

I want to set up to ten scenes on an 01v96 and install a box in the pulpit so that he can simply press one of ten buttons for whichever part of the service he is at

To change scenes on an 01v, whatever midi hardware you construct, needs to spit out program change messages, for the 01v to respond accordingly (prog change 0 = recall scene 1, prog change 1 = recall scene 2 etc, etc).. Kenton make a USB to midi host box, if you wanted to go down the nano pad route, but the nano pad won't spit out program change messages.

Not investigated properly myself, but highly liquid also make a DIY midi board - just add switches. Perhaps a custom arduino is something to investigate? (I would at this point defer to others with more arduino experience than me.)

It's something I've always wanted to construct - a go button with decent buttons (and 2 midi outputs), I've just never got past the research stage.

Neil

Archived