Budget 2014 (not politics linked directly)

Dj Dunc

I have just been listening to the 2014 budget speech,and without this going into a political debate, the following was mentioned.

And we’re supporting our creative industries too. The European Commission has today approved the extension of our film tax credit – and I will apply the same successful approach to theatre, especially regional theatre.

From this September there will be a 20% tax relief for qualifying productions, and 25% for regional touring.

Is this something completely new or just something I haven't heard about before? If the former, is it actually going to make a difference? Id like to know what the meanings behind "qualifying" are.

From www.theStage.co.uk

The scheme will see a relief applied to corporation tax – a levy on the taxable profits of an organisation – and is thought to be designed to benefit both subsidised and commercial producers.

Our accountant is currently digging for the proper definition of who qualifies and how it will be implimented.

Archived