Cheap Headset Mics

Bobbsy

I recall we went down this road with a deal from CPC a few years back but...

I just took a punt and bought a couple of THESE for use with my Sennheiser radio mic packs. They arrived yesterday and I gave them a good try out today. They're a bit toppy but it was easily cured with EQ--and once you've done that they sound absolutely fine.

They're not a DPA or Countryman but, for the money, they're darn good and make headsets a disposable item (which is good since even the expensive ones are pretty fragile). This is from the Aussie eBay site but, since they come from China, I assume you can order from the UK. Buyer experience was good--got an email same day as I'd ordered confirming they'd been posted and they arrived in just under a week rather than the "up to 3 weeks" they say.

Anyhow, just mentioning in case it helps anyone.

Your link's not working bobbsy (well, it's not there!).

I've been using some from China that I bought in a batch of 20. Very happy with them and they came in at under £20 per headset when I bought in bulk. I have to reterminate them when they arrive here because despite being a 4 pin mini xlr, they don't have the 10k resistor in them that my beltpacks need. At the same time I replace the mini XLR with a REAN one which behaves much better, and I also stick some heatshrink strain relief on each end.

Had my first ever show using headsets where I managed 22 mics over 10 performances plus 3 rehearsals, complete with swaps, without a single failure. Unheard of!

Ooops, sorry. The link should be fixed now.

That price works out to about £14.75 per mic at today's exchange rate--I haven't tried to negotiate a bulk deal but I might see if he would do a deal. No problems with the connectors for me--they work out of the box on Sennheisers with the locking 3.5mm jack.

I've been thinking of the heat shrink strain relief myself--problem is finding my collection of heat shrink which is in a box somewhere since our move a few weeks back.

Archived