strand tempus m24 desk

deranged-angel

Hey all.

I'm teching a show in a high school-dressed rehearsal is on Sunday- they have a Strand Tempus m24 lighting desk. It's the very first one they did. I've downloaded the manual (if you can call it that!) from Strand's website but just wondered if there is anything in particular I need to know about it-anything that often fails, might confuse me etc!

It'a a bit of a strange set up as there are 2 desks. One with the key pad on and another with only one set of faders that's the patch and effects board. there isn't a manual option to it-I have to programme it.

If you look Here It's not the top picture it's the second and third one-the quite large ones.

With it being such an old desk, I would have preferred to op manually-also gives me something to do and I'd rather not rely on such an old board!

Any help would, as always, be greatly appreciated.

Em

xx

Don't panic!!

Have you ever programmed a Strand memory desk before? If so, you'll pick the M24 up quite easily. (In fact, you'll probably find it a doddle even if you haven't programmed a Strand desk before ...)

It does so little that there's not much you can get wrong. ;) Channel control and basic recording/playback functions are the same as any other Strand console of the same era - Gemini, Galaxy, whatever. The FX wing (with the eight faders on it) doesn't even have to be touched unless you need to run any effects, or if you want to do any softpatching. You might find it useful to arm yourself with a cassette recorder of some sort for show file storage - a desk of M24 vintage is fairly likely to not be as reliable as it once was, so frequent saving of programming to tape would be advisable.

If there's anything specific that you want to know, ask! Can't promise to remember, though - it's been about 12 years since I last touched an M24! :)

Edit : Oh, by the way, the M24 was quite definitely not Strand's first memory lighting control! The history of Strand memory consoles goes back much further than that, beginning with the IDM in the mid-60's ...

The Tempus M24 was the first lighting desk I ever used - which would have been around 1991 when I was at school. No messing about with 2 scene preset desks for me - straight in with a memory board...

It was a nice bit of kit, although I never really got the hang of recording blind with it. As Gareth says, the basic programming syntax is much the same as the Gemini, GSX/LBX & 500 series. You shouldn't have too much trouble with it.

The M24 did crash on me twice, I think. Once was during a talk given by the late David Kossoff, father of Paul Kossoff - guitarist in the rock group Free (best known for their song "All Right Now"). Paul Kossoff died at the age of 25 from the effects of drugs, and after this his father gave many interesting & informative talks on the subject. He was half way through one of these when our desk hung, and the dimmers (a bunch of ACT6s) went into a 1 minute fade to black on loss of signal. I was backstage and couldn't actually see this, and he had to call for the lights to be turned back on... Oh, the embarrassment! Anyway, a powercycle of the desk got it going again, so that's something to be aware of.

The desk doesn't have DMX output - it uses the Strand proprietary control signal D54. This probably won't matter to you unless you're hiring extra dimmers, but don't even think of moving lights!

Good luck with it!

Marc

If you're interested a guy proposed me a tempusM24 with screen for 200 euros just yesterday (and I've never heard of this console before, so twice in two day is some kind of a miracle), PM me if you want his contact or if you want to setup a strand museum ;-)

This is the first desk I ever used as well, and got on fine with it.

I remember the FX desk being a pain in the ass to program, since it's hard to see what's going on. The "Load Output" button is useful since it allows you to set up a state on the main desk more easily, then load the active channels into that step. We used to stick a roll of LX tape over the button to avoid hitting it the rest of the time, fit's well.

I can never remember getting the desk to write properly to cassette. I remember it being a bit hit or miss depending on record levels etc, like a ZX Spectrum (...). So use it, but don't rely on it.

HTH

Paul

If they get moved around much, the ic's tend to get dismounted from their sockets giving rise to odd error codes - pushing them firmly back in often cures this 'fault'.

I've just realised that I still have one and the fx wing - but left them at the place I used to work at, hidden away in a store room.

I remember the FX desk being a pain in the ass to program, since it's hard to see what's going on. The "Load Output" button is useful since it allows you to set up a state on the main desk more easily, then load the active channels into that step.

Paul

Ah yes, but don't forget that in the FX wing channels are either on or off - there's no in between. This is fine for chases and not too bad for basic washes where everything can be at full (giving you half a dozen subs effectively), but if you mix a lovely state that includes a nice straw front light at full, a strong deep blue back light at 75% and a subtle amber side light in at 15% then transfer that to the FX wing as a backup state, all the channles are going to come out as full on the FX wing and that would look awful!

M24! Not seen one for 20 odd years. As a couple of people have said it's easy. It doesn't do much so there's not much to do ;) I found some things a bit daft - not difficult, just daft. I doubt you'll even notice being free from the influences of the Compact and MMS......... I hope ;)

Just remember it's very simple, and that may make it difficult. If need be PM me and I'll see if my memory is better than Gareths. Don't hold your breath!! :)

Tim

Speaking from experience, it is not fun to have the memory half of the desk faulty and have to run all shows off the effects board, although it is possible if youre carful with channels. I would love to use a strand desk in true working order because I like the idea of the syntax.

Thanks for all yoru replies. I'm using it on sunday so I'm now armed with manual and hints on how to use it.

Just remember it's very simple, and that may make it difficult.

I think you might be right!! For instance, there is no "go" button, It's called something else! Just a case of getting used to all the buttons!! I was only 2 years old when they made this desk! (1984) I have used strand desks before so I think I will be okay.

Oh, by the way, the M24 was quite definitely not Strand's first memory lighting control! The history of Strand memory consoles goes back much further than that, beginning with the IDM in the mid-60's ...

Sorry, that's not what I meant. They did 2 versions of the m24 the 2nd one having more channels on it. The one I'm using is the first one with fewer channels!

Thanks again. If I have any problems on sunday, I might be PMing you all!! :)

Em

xxx

Archived