Portrait mode projectors? Or those that work vertically?

mark_m

I have a commission to film and project a piece of gallery-based video art, and my collaborators would like the video to be projected in portrait orientation.

Can anyone suggest any (preferably short-throw) projectors that will work on their sides?

Alternatively any that will work pointing straight up or down, where I could then use a mirror to divert the image 90 degrees.

Of course this is not a big-budget thing, so I'd love suggestions for projectors that veered towards domestic, rather than Christie.

Any other bright ideas sincerely appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

the reason most units wont work on their sides is down to the lamp rather than anything else. if you look at a solid state unit like casio or in your case the Optoma short throw ss unit would be idea, optoma have showed these units mounted in portrait mode at ISE and they are warranted for this use. This kind of caper is pretty much what we do....

heres the link http://www.optoma.co.uk/projectordetails.aspx?PTypeDB=Business&PC=ZW212ST

as with all portrait mode instals you have to remember that units need to be mounted with the lens in the vertical centre which can be a challenge, with the short throw and vertical shift, it means the unit needs to mount beside the screen rather than above or below it. Be wary of trying to go off axis and using digital correction as the focus wont be perfect then across the canvas and as the units only got horizontal correction, it wont correct the vertical distortion in portrait. Theres ways and means, but best try and put it in the right palce.

to add I bit more detail on toms suggestion, the 300 series solid shines don't officially do portrait whereas the rw430 / rz430 are actually designed to do specifically that and its one of the units selling points. the new 6k unit definitely will as well, but that certainly wont meet your "budget" aspirations.

Thank you both so much: really useful information.

AH Young, do you have the Optomas in your hire stock? Maybe I can give you a ring to discuss. Although I'm based in London, we've just been in Edinburgh, at Summerhall, filming this, and will be showing the piece there later this year.

Thanks again

Mark

Archived