Usual voltage to an ignitor?

steve1981

I have a problem with a 250w discharge lamp moving head. I measured a voltage, without the lamp in, going to the ignitor of 240v which went up and down and peaked at around 500v at one point. Is this normal or spiking way to high?

I would say the answer is definitely too high but I know discharge lamps require high voltage, but don't know exactly how high.

Thanks all, Steve.

Many thousands of volts are required to strike the lamp... tbh I wouldn't be happy putting a multimeter anywhere near the output terminals of the igniter card as explosion of the meter could occur.

Have you put a known working lamp in?

Deffo sent the lamp on command?

Have you done a continuity test on the cabling to the lamp?

The big vantage wasn't measured after the ignitor, this was before. So I'm effect, the ignitor was receiving 500v!! Should the ignitor be getting this voltage or just 240?

I'm pretty sure the bulb was good but not 100 per cent sure. But when I turned it on, it lit for 2 seconds, then blew, and now I've just continuity somewhere from the base to the ignitor where it must of melted a wire somewhere.

I do have another thread running regarding this, this one Was just asking what input voltage the ignitor ahould be receiving.

Sorry for poor spelling above. Just woke up. :-/

It;s normal to have a high voltage on the input to the ignitor when the strike command is given…on VL's it's normally around 380V in my experience. So I'd say 500V is a bit high……. I would say it's probably a bad ballast http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Aha going *to* the igniter card; yeah around 400v (settling to 80v once struck) sounds about right in VL's altho this is a more cheapo mover it might be all over the place? Do you have a working one you can do swaps with?

It's a Robe so not that cheap. Clubspot 250CT.

I do have a working one yes. Trouble is there is no power reaching the ignitor now at all so I don't know if it's melted a wire somewhere, tripped a fuse (if there is one on that circuit), and don't wanna blow another bulb. :-/

Any ideas? How does the voltage go up from 240 to the required voltage to strike? Is it the ballast?

Archived