Working within the Live music or corporate event industry?

Hi All,

I was wondering if as many people as possible would be able to fill in a questionnaire to assist me with some research for my university assignment.

It is a research topic on the differences between working within the corporate events industry and the live music/festivals/concerts industry.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1dtlJPaPfrH3MVVhfTKiTt1lCnrtuRDna6Euy7fm7B4c/viewform

I hope this is alright,

Thanks,

Tom

Good research should be valid' date=' reliable, and representative.

Validity basically means - does it answer the question you asked? In a survey - being that the questions and answers are direct, the answer is probably yes.

Reliability basically means - is the source suitably placed to answer the question? In a survey, this may or may not be the case. The person answering the question might be a freelance lighting tech doing arena gigs every day, or they might be a casual theatre tech with a small community theatre with 4 ropey mac250s. Either way, your survey will come through with 'freelance lighting tech' in the job title. But I'd say one of those people should be able to provide a lot more reliable information than the other. You wouldn't know which, though.

But representative is the biggest problem with a survey. How many professional lighting practitioners out there are there? I would guess over a thousand good ones, then probably over a thousand casual / interested, then probably a thousand students. So we might be talking several thousand people who might be of use to the survey - a mixture of whom will answer - and even if you got 100 responses, you wouldn't be covering 5% of the UK's lighting community. Stretch that worldwide and you'd be talking well under a percent. Can the opinion of less than a percent of lighting practitioners worldwide be considered representative of the view of lighting practitioners? No. Can the opinion of even 5% of semi-anonymous lighting practitioners be considered representative of the UK's standing on any lighting matter? No, it can't.

This is why, for a survey to work, it has to (A) receive a lot of answers, and (B) has to be able to identify it's exact audience. And still, it is largely opinion based.

[/quote']

My opinion is that this survey still needs a lot of work to represent anything remotely useful.

Sorry to say that I got half way through and gave up. When you say 'industry' - what do you mean, you don't seem to have any real direction. Problems? Thousands of problems - today my problem was access, as in I couldn't get in because a cleaner forgot to leave a door open. You really don't want rubbish like this do you?

What on earth has enjoyment got to do with anything. I have the luxury of only doing things I like, but my close friends often do things they detest because they pay well.

We have a very short attention span for questionnaires - we don't mind doing them when they are well designed, and will produce decent quality responses. I really cannot see that you will get anything remotely useful from this one - sorry!

Sorry to say that I got half way through and gave up. When you say 'industry' - what do you mean, you don't seem to have any real direction. Problems? Thousands of problems - today my problem was access, as in I couldn't get in because a cleaner forgot to leave a door open. You really don't want rubbish like this do you?

What on earth has enjoyment got to do with anything. I have the luxury of only doing things I like, but my close friends often do things they detest because they pay well.

We have a very short attention span for questionnaires - we don't mind doing them when they are well designed, and will produce decent quality responses. I really cannot see that you will get anything remotely useful from this one - sorry!

Agree with Paul on this gave up latest problem was band showing up 3 hours late due to an accident on the motorway

Archived