PC Wing recommendations

clapagelighting

Hi There,

My company, CTM Events are looking to purchase a PC wing soon and looking to spend between £1,000 and £1,500 on it, We need something that is suitable for live music and concerts and theatre alike...

Our LD's have used the Avo titan mobile, Jands S1 and Chamsys pc wings in the past but where wondering what other peoples views were on which is the best one out there that would be most suitable.

Thanks.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Chamsys is good, my personal preference as I know the software. It's good and stable software with hardly any overheads as far as processing goes.

Avo Titan Mobile is capable, compact and very friendly to look at. The software has crashed on me a couple of times and it seems to use a lot of processing power to do fairly little, Windows 7 or higher required for this.

I've not used the Jands S1 but have used (well tried) a T2 with Byron and just not got along with it at all, everything seems a bit backwards to me.

Another option is Martin M2PC which is the wing version of the M2GO, I used the M2GO at a festival over the summer and it's a very capable desk with lots of features. I struggled to adjust in the time I had with it but its something I do plan on looking at again when I get the chance.

Josh

The M2pc system is awesome, I'm a big user of all M series consoles and have used them all from the M2PC through to the M6 (the big one)

Ive actually just bought an M2PC system myself.

For me they are SO much more verstitle if your going to be lighting a real mix of live and theatre. They fit into all requirements for a console in my eyes.

Martin have fantastic support and sales so I seriously advise you contact Dave Stewart at Martin UK and get a demo. They also have a great training programme.

Whenever anyone asks this question (or indeed one about buying lighting desks in general) most of the answers will usually be people recommending either desks/wings that they own, or those that are made or distributed by companies they work for.

The only real way to answer the question is to identify a small number of prospective purchases and get some hands-on time with them so that you can see for yourself what is likely (or not likely) to fit your needs. Chamsys, Avo, Martin, MA, Jands all have PC wing versions of their control solutions - what works best for you is something that only you can ultimately answer.

Ma2 wing would be my option. Unsure on the price but solid platform. Failing that Avolites titan mobile. Both have a good support network and do training in London.

MA2 is in an entirely different price class. Just the onPC fader wing on its own is around £2.5K inc VAT and the onPC command wing is which is generally more useful is £3.5K.

If you want, you can drop me a line, I would consider selling my Chamsys PC Wing. It is practically new, bought it for a 6 week job.

I love it but currently we are in different countries and the cost of a flight to go and get it is half what it's worth.

looking to purchase a PC wing soon and looking to spend between £1,000 and £1,500 on it, We need something that is suitable for live music and concerts and theatre alike...

The only thing that fits the requirements and the budget is ChamSys. You really cannot go wrong with one. Get a dedicated PC or laptop and a touchscreen to use with it and you are ready for anything. The new compact series are excellent and the right size for air travel too. I like the Avo equally well and its also very versatile but its more expensive. Although its roots are in live music, the level of control for media and theatre cue stack in the new version of Titan is very impressive.

Anything else is going to cost you more and you really need a reason to go there. If you have people there already familar either Avolites Titan and MagicQ then there is your answer.

I too tried Jands and didnt get on with it at all.

Martin system does look good and I would like to get more familiar with it. At this time I cannot see that it has any advantage over Avolites or ChamSys though. I would be interested in hearing from LDs that are familiar with all three systems though to hear views on that.

As for the MA wing, I see no reason to buy that unless you want a backup for full size console, or are already familiar with MA and want to tour a little MA control system.

The list prices I remember being quoted about a year ago on wings were (roughly!):

Chamsys PC - £1.5k

Avo Titan Mobile - £2.25k

Jands S1 - £2.25k

MA2 Command - £3.5k

a quick google sees the martin at £2.15k

Obviously, all manufacturers are worth talking to about discounts which can lead these prices to vary. But ultimately you'd be lucky to see a 33% discount! So really if £1.5k is the upper end of your budget, there is really only one option to consider...

In these circumstances, you can usually get more than 33% off list prices.

Really? When buying one item at low cost, I have never been offered 33% off list price.That level of discount is normally set aside for people looking to make significant purchases, not to make a one off purchase on something which was cheap in the first place.

the fact is this - budgeting £1500 for a fully up to date moving light console is not a lot, and you can't expect a lot of options.

Big fan of the Chamsys hardware and software, really well made especially with the new ones as the PSU is now integrated with powercon AC in, rather than a wall wart, which I've had pulled out mid show before.

More of a range of wings than the competition aswell depending on the budget / show requirements.

I´m also a fan of the chamsys wing.

I had the pre-compact style for nearly 2 years and it was WELL used, many shows and used as a test console in the workshop.

I agree about the wall wart.. My ONLY complaint about it was thinking it needed a sennheiser EW style cable grip,

I only sold mine when upgrading to an mq60... and even then I thought long and hard about just having both!

I am still hoping that chamsys release a (physically) smaller extra wing.

More for transport issues.. I´ve said it before and I´ll repeat it again.. if they could take the "magic saw" to the extra wing and offer a smaller unit with just the execute buttons I´d be first in the que.

But thats ONLY because I´ve been working hard to get my mq60, a netbook and 5-3pin coverters etc etc all into ONE flightcase... and I´d preffer to keep to one case when out and about... I´m really just playing the waiting game.. maybe they will release something, maybe I´ll just end up with an extra wing.

1391976088[/url]' post='492614']
1391888536[/url]' post='492555']

looking to purchase a PC wing soon and looking to spend between £1,000 and £1,500 on it, We need something that is suitable for live music and concerts and theatre alike...

Martin system does look good and I would like to get more familiar with it. At this time I cannot see that it has any advantage over Avolites or ChamSys though. I would be interested in hearing from LDs that are familiar with all three systems though to hear views on that.

As for the MA wing, I see no reason to buy that unless you want a backup for full size console, or are already familiar with MA and want to tour a little MA control system.

I've been using Avo for years on all sorts of jobs but have moved over to Matin a while ago. It has many more advantages over Avo, it's ten times more powerful in terms of what it can do and how much faster you can program and update. Theatre wise it knocks either Avo or Chamsys off the shelf with its tracking functions!

It's really worth everyone having a look at it properly, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

I´m also a fan of the chamsys wing.

I had the pre-compact style for nearly 2 years and it was WELL used, many shows and used as a test console in the workshop.

I agree about the wall wart.. My ONLY complaint about it was thinking it needed a sennheiser EW style cable grip,

I only sold mine when upgrading to an mq60... and even then I thought long and hard about just having both!

I am still hoping that chamsys release a (physically) smaller extra wing.

More for transport issues.. I´ve said it before and I´ll repeat it again.. if they could take the "magic saw" to the extra wing and offer a smaller unit with just the execute buttons I´d be first in the que.

But thats ONLY because I´ve been working hard to get my mq60, a netbook and 5-3pin coverters etc etc all into ONE flightcase... and I´d preffer to keep to one case when out and about... I´m really just playing the waiting game.. maybe they will release something, maybe I´ll just end up with an extra wing.

Agree. I would like a mini wing with just x+y encoders for movers and basic programming controls, clear, blind etc.

Archived