Projected door onto house tabs...

vinntec

My director wants to do a short scene in front of house tabs to enable a scene change behind. She has asked to have a door projected onto one end of the blue house tabs. I can get a couple of decent door gobos but I am not sure how well these will show up on a blue background with facelighting at the same time. Alternatively, I wondered if making a pretend door with profile shutters would be a better plan (which could be done from above as I can shape the shutters to make a rectangle ish)? Has anyone done anything like this, or have some ideas? The gobo throw is long from above or circle rail so I would not want more than tints. I guess a tint of blue might make it show up better on a blue background or will it just waste light?

Have you thought about using a Projector?

Yes I have thought of it but the nearest suitable bar is over 10m away so I would have to hire something quite substantial for an effect of only a few minutes (a quick look suggests £500 pw +). So I think it is a gobo from the circle bar or shutter-cuts from above or nothing. However, I haven't considered making a plastic door gobo (as profiles are Pacifics) which could have a lot more "white" on it than a standard gobo to illuminate more of the blue tabs and have less detail?

You can also use a profile off stage with shutters set as a trapezoid to show the light coming in through an implied door. Quite often the mind can be given a suggestion and accepts it as being a door. The same is also true for window light on the stage floor. (Venetian blind gobo's are great turned vertical for prison bars) You can try both a rectangular and a trapezoid shape. Have a look at light coming in a real door, what shape is the light on the floor ? door with light on floor

You can also use a profile off stage with shutters set as a trapezoid to show the light coming in through an implied door. Quite often the mind can be given a suggestion and accepts it as being a door. The same is also true for window light on the stage floor. (Venetian blind gobo's are great turned vertical for prison bars) You can try both a rectangular and a trapezoid shape. Have a look at light coming in a real door, what shape is the light on the floor ? door with light on floor

Hi Don - now that's an idea I didn't think of. Not sure how much audience in stalls will be able to see (matt black floor) but I like the idea.

Archived