Road Hog / Wholehog Palettes

IRW

Hi All,

I've just been thrown a Road Hog Full Boar 4 to play with learn, and the questions are quickly mounting up! Let's try this one for starters though, as if I can do this, it solves some immediate problems...

On a Pearl / 500 series, I can send a fixture to a palette in a designated time. (Say palette/group 1 in 5 seconds)

i.e. [Fixture Swop Button] [5] [Palette 1]

or [Channel] [@] [Group] 1 [Time] [5] [*]

Is it possible to do this with the Hog 4 software? I keep reading various things about applying times to palettes, but from what I understand, that's a preprogrammed thing, not an on-the-fly thing.

I realise this may not be the way you are *supposed* to use the desk, but I've been thrown in a little at the deep end, and need to be able to set it up to busk a show with relatively little programming time in the short-term- I fully intend to learn the ins and outs and proper way of programming it, but, as good as I am(!) that's not going to happen overnight!

Basically, I want to be able to have Groups, Colours, Beams and Positions open (check), Times *somewhere* (I think I could do this through macros on the command keys?), and to be able to use all of this together seamlessly, to do something along the lines of [Group 1] [stalls] [Time 5] [Enter] and have my moving lights gracefully sweep up into the auditorium for that cheesy final note of song moment (or not, but you get what I mean!)

Thanks,

Ian

Hi Ian,

It sounds like what you are looking for is Fade Changes. This is located in the Programmer Window. Select Fade Changes and changes made live in the programmer will fade in the default time of 2s OR the time you assign.

Example :

With Fade Changes toggled ON,

Group 1 POSITION TIME 5 ENTER POSITION 1 > This assigns a 5s time to position parameters, same could be done to Color, Beam, Intensity..

Lights should move in to position in 5s.

http://www.highend.com/support/controllers/documents/html/en/sect-editing_discreetly.htm#sect-fade_changes

In SETUP> PREFERENCES>Trackball; I will often assign the upper left track-ball button to toggle Fade Changes, so I do not have to constantly change in the Programmer Window.

Hope this helps,

Hi Ian,

It sounds like what you are looking for is Fade Changes. This is located in the Programmer Window. Select Fade Changes and changes made live in the programmer will fade in the default time of 2s OR the time you assign.

Example :

With Fade Changes toggled ON,

Group 1 POSITION TIME 5 ENTER POSITION 1 > This assigns a 5s time to position parameters, same could be done to Color, Beam, Intensity..

Lights should move in to position in 5s.

http://www.highend.c...ct-fade_changes

In SETUP> PREFERENCES>Trackball; I will often assign the upper left track-ball button to toggle Fade Changes, so I do not have to constantly change in the Programmer Window.

Hope this helps,

Hmmm...That still doesn't help hugely with busking on-the-fly, as, if I understand you correctly, it involves pre-changing the value? However, working on this school of thought, could I program, say 5 macros to the command keys that change the time on all palette types to (for example) 1 second, 3 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 20 seconds?

OK, After a marathon Facebook discussion thread, a friend of mine came up with:

Ensure 'Fade Changes' is On in the programmer

[Channel/Group] {Touch}

[Time] [X]

[Palette of choice]

Now, obviously this has the downside of pulling everything into the programmer, so I've got a slight modification:

[Channel / Group] [Position][Colour][beam] {Touch}

[Time] [X]

[Palette of choice]

This only pulls attributes into the programmer, leaving my intensities on faders. I'm yet to try programming the neccessary macros, but what I'm hoping is to have a macro sheet with my moving light groups on it, which runs the first line, Time X on the command buttons, a 'scene' in which all moving light intensities are at full, and group masters on the playbacks.

Archived