Freelancer accreditation check-list

ghance

Hi,

As an employer, what information do you request from your freelance staff?

We have an informal system of asking for invoice details, NI, driving license, any certificates & insurance.. being an informal system its patchy at best.

So in an attempt to standardise the procedure I'm putting together a check-list, & H&S / contract sign-off procedure.

What do you guys do? What should we be doing?

Many thanks

Gareth

H2

When I work for QDOS, for quite a few years now, I invoice them for the job, but they deduct NI, but not tax. This system I understand ends this year (April) and as long as what you provide is considered (and described on your invoice) as a service - then it's OK. A number of production companies were instructed to do this, as I understand it, after the ITV V HMRC court case that set the precedent. You are self-employed for tax, but employed for NI - very silly! However, if you work for them as a Production Manager, then no deductions, same with roles like carpenter.

Oh that? I thought those regs only applied to "entertainers" and not technicians. And as for 'silly'... of course - why would we have simple, easy to understand tax system...what's logic in that ;)

(Apologies for o/t!)

The tricky bit, as I understand it is if any part of the job could be considered as performing - Pure technicians shouldn't have the problem, but if you go out on stage, maybe in a festival situation and sound check a guitar, or drums or keys - it would be difficult to not consider this as 'performing' - even though you strum a couple of chords while pressing pedals and checking the thing plays properly. Clearly to use, this isn't real performing at all, but to a tax man, being able to play the guitar or play the drums is a musical skill, which they're using - and I reckon it would possibly be enough of a risk for some production companies to not take the chance.

I'm so off topic I've almost veered into a different forum but I've done a bit of research and found the following quote:

Entertainer is defined in the Social Security (Categorisation of Earners) Regulations 1978 as a "person employed as an actor, singer or musician or in any similar performing capacity." This includes such professions as dancers, voice-overs and walk–on parts. TV Presenters and news reporters are not regarded as entertainers for the purposes of the legislation.

So I would have thought you'd never have been affected... but I guess everyone's situation is different. One of the big issues that hit the film industry a few years ago and I think will hit theatre and events rather soon is that of IR35 and that can be rather painful particular for a crewing company (which is why I mentioned it in the first place)

The ITV court case was quite interesting. From the information I was sent, the revenue contacted many of the more well known organisations and said - back in 19XX we informed you that people you engaged did not need to pay Class 1 contributions, and you did not need to pay the Employers Contribution. This was incorrect - you now owe ...........

They obviously took advice, the sums being substantial, but apparently if the Revenue are wrong, it's still your responsibility! I suspect that they decided not to take chances. The result is that somebody engaged as a Technical ASM doesn't have anything in their contract about performing, but a more typical ASM does - in case they are needed to be a spear carrier, or perhaps be onstage, hidden, passing proper or whatever. In panto, being the back end of a cow as cover would also tip the balance. Would a production company try to predict their likely crossover into NI territory? No, they'd probably just do it automatically - a bit like when they deduct tax from anybody who hasn't given them the appropriate UTR number - take no chances!

a bit like when they deduct tax from anybody who hasn't given them the appropriate UTR number - take no chances!

Ahh OK, the grey area that is Stage Management... as purely lighting/electrics I guess that's why I haven't come across it. I did quote that little bit as I'd be more concerned with engaging a mix of sub-contractors and employees doing the same work as I'd have no defence if an IR35 case was taken up against me...but I guess that's a topic for another day!

Archived