Sonifex RB-DAC1

whisky-zulu

Apologies if this topic has already been covered - I did have a quick gander, but couldn't find anything on here.

As some of you may be aware, the Soundcraft Mini 32 stagebox has 8 analogue outs and the remainder are AES/EBU, paired off up to 16. I've been caught out a few times now when using the stagebox and not having enough analogue outs at stage end (thankfully both my consoles have analogue outs on the boards, so have run excessive runs of XLR alongside the cat6 multi). So, I've been looking into AES - Analogue converters and came across the Sonifex RB-DAC1, which looks like it'll do the job very well (I'd hope at a list price of £350+). I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this particular unit, or similar?

IT's rackmountable, which is a plus, and for now would be a decent substitute from the looks of things before I get a second Mini 32.

I use the combined A/D and D/A in the same series (RB-ADDA1. It works well and seems solidly built. The only disadvantage that I find is that the controls are all on the back panel as it was probably designed to be installed in a rack and never touched. The RB-ADDA2 has controls on the front panel so I guess I wasn't the only one to have that problem.

There seems to be a real dearth of good, mid priced, convertors. The next step up in quality are around double the price of the Sonifex.

Archived