Sennheiser ASA1 Problem

tolley1466

Hey guys,

Long time since I've been on here! Hope everyone is alright!

I'm running 10 x G300 receivers (1 x 6-way rack and 1 x 4-way rack). The 6-way has 2 ASA1s (cascaded) feeding the 6 receivers and then cascaded again to the 4-way rack. I'm having a bizarre problem that channel A is dropping out on the 6-way but completely strong on the cascaded 4-way rack. Using 2 x padels. Channel B is strong and steady.

Has anybody else had this problem and have a solution?

Cedd: There are two ASA1s in the 6-way cascaded a and b.

And Jon - that's how it's wired to the 4-way.

I'm baffled as to why the 4-way rack is solid as its at the end of the chain.

I'll bare in mind about 8 recievers however, I've used the same set-up on previous jobs and its been 100% faultless.

Which way are they cascaded though? There are 2 methods shown in Jon's link - one that has one ASA doing one side of the diversity to all 8 (ok, in your setup, 6) receivers (which would explain why you lose all of your receivers on one side). And the other method where the 2 ASA's still have 4 receivers each, using the extra link out to join the 2 together. In this case you'd only see 4 of your 6 receivers in the rack loose a side if you had a faulty ASA.

The detail of how it's wired is quite important if we're going to help you.

It's also important to know how the split to the second rack is done - does it use a buffered output from the rack 1 ASA's, or is there a passive split somewhere?

My guess so far;

The rack is wired so each ASA looks after a different antenna, with all outputs having the same RF on them (the method shown on page 14). The ASA feeding channel A or the cabling to it has a fault which affects all receivers in the rack. Importantly though, the output to the second rack is from a passive split somewhere before the ASA, hence why you're not losing the second rack.

But that's a pure guess because until we know the exact detail of things like where splits occur and how it's cascaded, we can't help you I'm afraid.

I'm running 10 x G300 receivers (1 x 6-way rack and 1 x 4-way rack). The 6-way has 2 ASA1s (cascaded) feeding the 6 receivers and then cascaded again to the 4-way rack. I'm having a bizarre problem that channel A is dropping out on the 6-way but completely strong on the cascaded 4-way rack. Using 2 x padels. Channel B is strong and steady.

Questions:

- Which antenna do you have?

- Do you have any mast head amplifiers attached to the antenna?

- When you say 'cascaded to the 4 way rack' do you mean you have passive split the two antennas sent them to the second rack or are you using the spare output on each ASA1 in the first rack to find the inputs of the ASA1 in the second rack?

- What is the rough distance between the antenna and the TX?

- Have you connected the WSM software and used the scan feature to get a plot of what a 'non-working' receiver in the 6 way rack is seeing and what a 'working' receiver in the second rack is seeing?

The last time I saw anything like this it was due to such a high RF level being presented that the RF input stages of the receivers were overloaded and unable to lock. This was compounded by the mast head amplifiers clipping. The fix involved removing the mast head amplifiers, the next stage would have been to turn the RF output down on the belt packs but it didn't prove necessary.

Archived