Behringer ADA8000 overheating?

TomHoward

Afternoon all

I have a problem with a Behringer ADA8000. It's being used with an ADAT sound card to provide a 8x8 in/out with preamps.

The ADA8000 runs nicely for about 2 hours, then it seems to have signal on all channels - just buzzing/popping that comes out of nowhere. This comes on suddenly and seems to be cleared by cycling power no the unit.

This seems to happen even with the ADA isn't connected to anything so I'm thinking it's a problem in the unit rather than any sync problems etc

Anyone heard of this before or got any ideas?

Just to add a couple of things - this isn't a background hiss that you would usually expect from a piece of behringer gear, this is a monstrous, all-encompassing distorted squarewave/noise sound that you can't hear any signal for. Also the unit seems to run quite hot

I've got 2 ADA8000s and haven't experienced this but they have only been used lightly and there are several references to the problem on the Software Audio Workshop & Software Audio Console forum eg this one. At least one UK user has suffered the problem so I don't think it's just to do with the different mains voltage in the states.

I've read that the ADA8000 overheating is a known and "admitted by Uli" problem.

So:

Music Group Research UK Ltd

Walter Nash Rd

Kidderminster

Worcestershire

DY11 7HJ

Email: care@music-group.com

Phone: 0044 1562 732290

The overheating is a curable problem, I modified mine around 2 years ago and they now run cool. It also means that the mains transformer and regulators are no longer stressed, I will dig out the details later when I return from a family celebration.

Brian

Thanks guys

I've spoken to EMS who are the other Behringer UK service centre (who actually know the parts, they can usually advise when we have faulty Behringer gear and supply parts), who said it was usually bad suppression caps caused by the overheating.

Their usual cure was swapping out the caps but that sounds more like a repair than a long-term fix.

I found a couple of mods on the web but they were moving components off-board, adding heatsinks and trailing back to the board.. all fairly involved.

Brian did your overheating manifest itself in any strange ways? It's mainly this weird sound we're getting that's the problem, rather than problems actually caused by the heat directly.

I saw the ADA8200 as well but at the moment I'm holding off on that as we're looking at swapping our whole setup for an X32 so would have a look if it was a quick fix but not really planning to spend any significant money fixing it if I can avoid it.

The mod I did was probably one that you have seen on the web. It comprised fitting high wattage resistors in series with each of the voltage regulator inputs with an additional smoothing capacitor in each case. The original problem is due to the very high input volatages to the regulators, causing them to run extreemely hot. This may well lead to early demise of smoothing capacitors. The reason I modified was a mains transformer failing after 18moths, fortunately in warranty. I realised how hot the units were running and felt the need to reduce the risk of failure, not wishing to loose 8 inputs during a show. The modifications are not unduly difficult, taking around 1 hour per unit. I tested the units for spot temperaturesof the regulators and transformer and case temperature before and after the modifications and was very pleased with the results. I can't lay my hands on the notes so am unable to give figures. I also checked the supply regulation at reduced mains voltage as this is affected by the modification. The supplies were still stable down to 200 volts which met my requirement. Anyone who wants the component values can PM me

Brian

Thanks Brian

That seems like an easy enough. The only concern I have is that most people seem to have had other failures - either heat related or transformers or fuses failing like you did - so I haven't yet managed to confirm that this strange noise I'm getting is actually heat related, or whether it's something unrelated which might still happen after I have made the modifications.

I've had overheating issues with a Behringer de-esser and an effects processor; both had problems in the power supply section, where regulators and transistors were used without heat sinks. I added the (in my opinion) missing parts and have no more problems since. If you're up to it, take the ADA apart and feel (of sniff :huh:) around and see what gets too hot. Unstable supply voltage might be the source of your problem.

Good luck

Norbert

Archived