Advice on New Kit

Columbine24

I have been asked to spec some new kit for a projection department. Having only just started in the industry I am not sure of the best format to go with.

We are looking at Analogue Way switchers for basic kit (Pulse or Quick VU) and these have VGA, DVI and HDMI outputs. Which is the best format to use when I need to then extend down the room using Cat 6 extenders and distribute the signal behind the set to projectors and a comfort screen on stage?

I guess VGA is being retired so the digi formats are the best way to go. I've heard some horror stories about HDMI - Cat 6 extenders but Analogue Way reassure me that that was a problem for the 2009-2012 era and is now sorted. I am being advised that Atlona make good distro kit - anyone got any experience of their reliability? Does HDCP compliance cause any issues with the ID being lost down the chain?

We will not be displaying full HD, only XGA for most events.

I suppose my main question is DVI or HDMI?

DVI and HDMI essentially carry the same signal, although HDMI can also carry audio. DVI connectors are more robust and are also locking, which may be a consideration. A simple adapter will let you convert from one connector to the other. HDCP is frequently a pain.

How long will your cable run be? XGA over decent VGA cable can go 50m or more without a problem; I don't think it'll be retired any time soon although newer laptops don't always have that connectivity.

Id also say that anyone investing in anything av has to look at it being 1080p as we are in a steady transition from xga over vga to hd digitally. Id say most of our work is hd these days and in a couple of years it wont even be a question that gets asked.. therefor is suggest running all your distribution either over fibre or hdbt . We use both, but have bought a load of cat7 cable and Kramer hdbt transmitters simply because the newer projectors have the receiver built in and for a couple of hundred quid I can run a totally stable hd video signal plus network control down the room. If you go for a panasonic projector and one of the new Kramer presentation switchers which are rather decent, you have the transmitters and recievers built in so you just need some cable which is cheaper than vga and in my experience more robust as there are no pins to bend.

Dvi and hdmi are effectively the same and dvi can carry digital audio, but id have a scaler that allows you to de-embed the digital audio and also embed the analogue as you never know if the audio out on a laptop is going to come out the hdmi or the 3.5mm jack and its easier to fix it on the scaler than fiddle with someones settings... Digitals a steep learning curve and as the source and sink communicate before sending a single, you cant run diagnostics the same way you used to as everytime you hotplug a lead, things disconnect, negotiate and reconnect but this is where an edid minder or parrot can be helpful id also get a scaler where you can turn hdcp on and off and this will avoid a lot of problems - it wont allow you to play protected content, but it will avoid a fair few surprises.

Archived