Oxford - Cats - LED strings

james3mc

I'm one of the volunteer house techs for a small independent theatre in Thame, Oxfordshire (http://thameplayers.co.uk/).

I recently saw 'Cats' in Oxford which was a fantastic show - but I was especially struck by the string of LED bulbs used above the auditorium and on the set. I'd love to get my hands on some, but with little spare budget, it's got to be either beg, borrow, steal - or possibly, make our own.

Does anyone where they came from or who made them?

Was it the New Theatre you saw the production in?

Whichever theatre it was, I'd track down the number for the Tech Manager and see if he can give you any leads. If it was the NT, then chances are it's a touring production as the NT is part of one of the big theatre groups and they may not be so inclined to give out details of their rig/lx plan quite yet. North Wall and the Playhouse are both independents.

Hi James

I used to be Dep Chief LX at the New Theatre, and did Cats there a number years ago, when I put it in, they used a festoon with GLS lamps. You can get "smart" Led festoon, but this is expensive gear. a small length of GLS festoon fitted with opal Golf ball lamps is cheap to buy or rent, and would give a great effect in the Old Fire station.

Hope that helps.

Certainly at one point the Kenwright Cat's tour was using the Glasson stuff - whether they still are (across the life of a tour complicated technical stuff generally gets replaced with cheaper solutions as the tour scales down) is an unknown but that's certainly what they started with.

t

Archived