Magnum 1800 not pumping

Andrew Edwards

Our 1800 performed perfectly during Panto but after a break of a couple of weeks, it now will not produce fog.

All I can hear from the unit is a faint buzz when calling for fog. I can see that there is some air pockets in the line but the pump is not even slightly moving these through.

Is this indicative of pump failure?

Cheers.

Our 1800 performed perfectly during Panto but after a break of a couple of weeks, it now will not produce fog.

All I can hear from the unit is a faint buzz when calling for fog. I can see that there is some air pockets in the line but the pump is not even slightly moving these through.

Is this indicative of pump failure?

Cheers.

Yes. The rubber seals in the pump do wear out over time, especially if it has been left dry. If the pump has been left with an air bubble in it, this could cause it. Replacement pumps are widely available, it's an easy and fairly cheap fix.

Just to close this thread.

I took the pump out with the intention to source a new one from [popular auction site] for £20. During the search, I discovered that this pump is used extensively in coffee and espresso machines and there is a thriving hobbyist community when it comes to making the magic brown liquid.

I discovered this french site and this blog which has a few nice dismantled pump images and diagrams.

I stripped the pump and couldn't see any obvious issue such as wear or debris. I put the pump back in, cleared the line and then charged it full of fluid *bleurgh* :( before connecting back on the pump . This has done the trick and is now back to working order. :D

On the Ulka pumps at least, I've had repeated problems with the outlet non-return valve rubber seal swelling and jamming shut, so the pump gently vibrates but can't pump. I assume it's due to a reaction between the rubber and some unsuitable fog fluid.

Archived