best rigging course.

spanieltech

Hello Blueroomers.

I am a lampie by trade but would like to investigate a move into becoming a rigger. Now before you all start shouting at me I understand that this skill is not gained overnight and experience is the key that takes time to gain.

However, if I wanted to do a course to make me more noticeable to potential employers so I could then go on to apply for an assessment for the nrc level 2, what should I be looking at.

might seem like a silly question to you guys but any advice would be great.

However, if I wanted to do a course to make me more noticeable to potential employers so I could then go on to apply for an assessment for the nrc level 2, what should I be looking at.

Seano's link is ideal for finding a course. Just a quick post to tell you how the whole NRC thing works. It is often mis interpreted that you do the training course, then you do the Level 2 assessment, and then you start working as a rigger. In actual fact, you do the training course, then you register for the NRC Level 2 (which basically enrols you on the system), and then you start working as a rigger. Once you have gained enough rigging experience that you are able to work independently both up and down as a rigger, then you take your Level 2 assessment to prove this ability.

Unfortunately it can seem a bit Catch 22 / Chicken-Egg for new riggers, as people won't employ you til you have it, but you can't get it til you're being employed. Don't be too concerned however... often the companies insist on it do so because there's less or even no facility to supervise your work, and in this scenario it would not be in your interests as a trainee to do that work since you'd not be able to learn, and any mistake you made may go on to be dangerous. With most of the large rigging companies, if you call them and explain that you're new, have done the training and are registered with the NRC scheme, and are keen to learn, you may begin to pick up ground rigging shifts and then, in due course, up rigging shifts too. Whilst the NRC scheme does usually recommend at least a year's experience, if you're not a full timer on one of the training schemes (IE Outback have apprentices at Olympia, Unusual at Earls Court (although this may have finished up due to the impending closure), the NEC in Brum also has an internal scheme... etc) and going it alone as a freelancer, this may well be extended to 2 or 3 years until you're ready for assessment, depending on how much work you're able to pick up. The more experience you can get, the sooner you'll be ready.

If you are convinced you want a complete switch to a career in rigging, I would definitely keep an eye for trainee vacancies... to be honest most of the guys I know who've been through the Olympia or EC systems are now comfortable and busy freelancers, or working full time in strong rigging jobs. It's definitely a good path to take if you can find it. Outback advertise their vacancies here when they arise. Learning as a freelancer is not impossible and many people do do it that way, however the initial pickup will undoubtedly be slower.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived