Digital Projector Shutter

lxkev

I've been trying to find something to mask the projector with, I have tested some materials, but the problem is that you can always see the edges of the projection, maybe using smoked glass for masking the edges might help, or use films, used to dimm car windows!

DLP is the way to go for this - my manager and I bought one for the ship at ~1200:1 (claimed) which was about the best I've seen in terms of contrast in domestically available units.  Can't remember the brand name unfortunately - Os-somethingorother I think.

However, DLP isn't 'better' than LCD as such.  I found that it is similar to the difference between colour laser printing and colour inkjet printing.

DLP does blocks of colour brilliantly - very bright, hard colours, and very deep blacks - but it isn't very good for photographic work for that reason.

LCD colours are generally a little softer which makes it much more suitable for photographs.  They usually give more greyish blacks due to the lower contrast.

your right and wrong , a cheep single chip,running a 6 colour colour weel will show the problems you're talking about,

but a good 3 chip unit can give better colours than any lcd unit,

ian

We produce a modification for Christie LX100's and Sanyo XF45 (both 10k) projectors which is internal and works fine. If anyones interested I can certainly give more information and even sell you one if you like..

The LCD will give better quality for presentations, such as ppt etc. as the picture is more pixelated and therefore sharper because of the way the light comes through the LCD.

DLP which has 3 DMD chips in it (three separate colours with the mirrors on it - as explained by someone else!) will give much better quality than 1DMD (as expected) but I better for video work as it has a smoother quality to the picture as the picture is reflected on these mirrors.

Different technologies do better at different things:

eg. corporate conferences may be better to have LCD

where as West End shows with lots of video may be better with DLP.

what is it with all these TLAs anyway?

Archived