Phone Line

I know this has nothing to do with lights or sound but it is in a theatre.

We have two phone lines in our office.

1 For the phone/Fax, the other we had put in for internet access for our (don't laugh) 3 computer LAN.

We have just upgraded to broadband, and want rid of the second line (thus saving a bit of cash every quarter)

Here's the problem.

When I phoned BT and got the second line cancelled, the woman said "no problem", when I asked her if it was possible to join the lines together to make 1 (the same number) she said no. She said I would have to get a BT egineer out to put in a new socket.

Well I allready have the socket where I want it.

I did a bit of investigation, and found where the 2 lines enter the building. 1 line goes downstairs, and the other comes upstairs. Now, if I'm correct, I can just join the 2 lines together (choc bloke and LX tape) and run it like a Y split.

Does any one see any problems with this?

All I want to know is - Will it work??

Will broadband be alot slower from doing this??

I know this is not the BT Forum, but this was the closest I could get.

Ta

Ian's website probably mentions it, but it is worth noting that every phone line must have one 'master socket' which BT install, with a few extension sockets, usually the master socket is fed with 8 wires, and feeds 4 (I think) to the others.

I would expect that both your sockets are Master sockets, so you would need to be careful about how you joined the things together. Your easiest option would be to just buy an extension kit and wire it in yourself, would only take you 5 minutes and be a lot cheaper and easier that chasing cables back!

Richard

Your easiest option would be to just buy an extension kit and wire it in yourself, would only take you 5 minutes and be a lot cheaper and easier that chasing cables back!

Aye, or use the existing wiring, and a new slave socket fascia, and check the krone jumpering to turn it into a slave (this is if the cable runs past the other master?

Good luck

Actually, joining the lines togther like this will not work. You would need a way of 'switching off' the other phone line whilst you were using the first one. Otherwise when an incoming call came in on the first line, you would answer it by lifting the phone, and this would put the same condition on the other line to request dial tone. SO you would be talking to the first caller with dial tone from the second line in the background!

OK, you have a few options:

One - you could forward the second line to the first line in the telephone exchange using star services. (See your provider for this). This would allow you to answer both numbers from the first line. Of course, both would be engaged whilst you were on a call. And you would still be paying for the rental on both lines.

Two - another solution would be to get a proper 2 line mini telephone system to allow you to answer either line.

Three -set up with your service provider a changed number divert on the second line to get callers to dial your first line, and then cancel the second line.

Four - get another telephone on the desk, so each line has its own phone. Great for that big boss look!

I hope this was of help, and that I understood what you are trying to do.

Have fun!

I can just join the 2 lines together (choc bloke and LX tape) and run it like a Y split.

I don't think Ben meant to say this. I think what he means is can he join the two sockets together onto the same line, rather than joining two lines into the same socket.

The answer is yes, you can easily buy extension kits or join them with a junction box so long as they are not both Master sockets.

fed with 8 wires, and feeds 4 (I think) to the others.

The master cable should from my experiences anyway, be fed with just two wires which it then feeds to 4 wires.

I have also had the problem of connecting two master sockets on the same line and this I found was easily solved. If you don't connect the master feed into the box but just connect the 4 wires it will work fine as these are simply connected to the socket and the 'master' bit of it has no interference.

Probably didn't say that very well, but then it is very hot!

Archived