Laptop with HDMI and VGA Outputs

smalljoshua

I'm currently looking to spec a couple of new laptops for people to take to site as part of our maintenance and testing contract services. As part of this, we perform functional checks on inputs into installed projectors/plasmas and sound systems. More and more often we're coming up against HDMI input plates along side VGA+Audio and need to have a more streamlined system in place for testing these.

Our current system is a rather old and tired HP ultraportable with a VGA out and then we use one of the technician's personal laptops for the HDMI out. The HP's battery is shot and we don't like having to carry multiple machines.

As far as specs go, something that can drive 1080P, play audio via both HDMI and 3.5mm jack (doesn't have to be at the same time). Wireless and Wired networking. Battery life of over an hour and as lightweight as possible for less than £450+vat shouldn't be that hard to ask should it? This machine doesn't need to be capable of anything more than playing out a 1080P video, some uncompressed audio and running an Access Database which we use to log all our site visits and tests.

I've come across a couple of machines:

http://www.ebuyer.com/579589-asus-x102ba-touch-laptop-x102ba-df027h

and

http://www.ebuyer.com/579590-asus-x551ca-laptop-x551ca-sx029h

but the screen size is a bit on the small/big side respectively. Ideally, it'd be something between 12.5 and 14" screen. OS doesn't matter as I'll be imaging it inline with the other machines in the office on our Volume Licensing Agreement.

Personal recommendations would be preferred but if anyone can just point me towards suitable machines in that price range I'm happy to read around the reviews myself.

Cheers then

Josh

My company laptop is a Lenovo E530 - it ticks all your boxes except screen size.

Performance is pretty good (even when I use it for software development and OS virtualisation). I can get 3-5 hours out of the battery doing normal office productivity type tasks. Main downside is the screen - even compared to a cheap TFT monitor, the image is very soft; also the way that it's hinged means the screen is extremely low, which I find uncomfortable to use - and it's only 1366x768 resolution. Be warned, Lenovo have an extremely annoying keyboard layout where CTRL is not the bottom-left-most key - FN is. You can swap it in the BIOS, but are then left with keys which don't do what they say.

Their website lists the E335, which would seem to meet your screen requirement, but I've not used that model myself.

Hi Josh

Have you considered a test signal generator(s) instead of a laptop? The HDMI sig gens are not hideously expensive and VGA sig gens can be found on fleabay for next to nothing.

I still sometimes use my old composite/s-video sig gen. A compact unit can be very handy when you're trying to trace a signal fault and find yourself at the top of a ladder (or hanging underneath a truss) in order to get the signal direct into the projector or display.

I had considered the HDMI/VGA sig gen route and it would be good to have those as options for times such as being atop a ladder.

A lot of the time though, it's handy to check whether the EDID is coming out of the faceplate correctly/USB port for Smartboard are all working too. Plus, we need a machine on site with us to log PAT/Unit+Lamp Hours etc into software for lifetime/MTTF management (Oh the joys) which would mean a couple of extra boxes along side the required laptop. We need to replace the laptop which does this anyway.

Cheers for the suggestions guys.

Josh

I've just bought one of these for something completely different and I have to say that my initial impression is that it's quite a nice little computer considering it is under 300quid.

The screen is small but perfectly readable and the touch screen is ermm touchable.

I can try running 1080p through it if you want. It'll have to be next week though. I am nowhere near a HDMI input at the moment.

Cheers,

Peter

That'd be good if you could, I'm still put off by the screen size (mainly as it's not just my eyes having to use it) but if I know it's a good "this is very very small and would work" solution then it'll help.

Josh

I am sad to report it isn't.

The screen is pretty decent as is the build quality but it doesn't have enough oomph to do anything useful, even very basic tasks are slow.

Mine's going back.

Cheers,

Peter

You might want to take a look at one of these: Dinky little computer made by Advent and sold in your local Currys for £279.99

Compared to the Asus it flies (so much of a difference I am wondering if the Asus was faulty). The touchscreen is 11.6" and the extra inch and a bit makes a big difference.

Build quality is more solid. Battery life is around 3 hours.

VGA & HDMI o/p's. Can't try the HDMI yet, sorry. My local Curry's had a few of these on display. I don't imagine it would be impossible for you to get them to hook one up to a decent resolution monitor or telly to give it a try.

After the disappointing performance of the last under £300 machine I went along quite prepared to spend between £450-500 so this little fella doing the job for £10 cheaper than the Ebuyer one came as a rather pleasant surprise.

Cheers,

Peter

I suppose it's each to their own, we've got a 5/6 seat office environment on Win8/Office 13 and no issues as far. Users have adapted well and are enjoying the experience. Plus, a good amount faster than 7 on same hardware and sits nicely with all the GP we've got running.

Josh

Archived