Making lights pulse to voice.....

Caerdydd

Hi All,

I've got a bizarre project where I need to make a number of lights pulse/modulate to voice. So the louder the voicer the higher the percentage the lights go to.

Desk with be a Strand 530, dimmers Avo 2000's.

The only way I can think of so far is getting a 0-10v signal from a sound mixer depending on output level, and then taking the 0-10v signal into a DMX multiplexer then assigning the dimmers to say ch 1 of the multiplexer, then setting top levels etc on the rack.

I did think about just taking the sound signal into the 530, and trying a sound to light chase but I'm not sure thats going to have the same effect.

Suggestions welcome....

I've done this with Max/MSP and it works great. One nice feature is that you can create a bandpass filter object to be more selective on frequency. I've output to both USB DMX and Artnet with Enttec boxes. Not the simplest solution as you will need the $400 software and a computer and some sort of DMX output device.

Max/MSP is a decent suggestion, but if the price tag puts you off, one could use Pure Data, which shares ancestory [how]with Max. They are both examples of "patching" languages, which have an incredibly steep learning curve to get to the point of doing something useful, but offer the ultimate in flexibility. Windows or Mac.

Rather than go straight to DMX, I'd output MIDI in a flavour that your desk can accept. For some desks, this is as easy as a note on message, the pitch of which selects which submaster, and the velocity selects the intensity, so easy to map from audio to submaster.

Some great answers, thank you very much.

A sub master would be the obvious and ideal answer but I'm trying to save the operator as the effect runs for a few hours, and unfortunately the modulation does need to match the voice levels....

Think I'll have a look at the midi route! Time to dig out the 530i manual!

Given its Saturday morning Kiwi time, and the excitement of the day is a trip to the supermarket, I thought I'd try knocking up a PD patch to do what the OP suggested. Heck, its hard going remembering PD when one has not done it for a while. Reminds me why I favour SynthEdit over PD almost all the time for noisemaking, but alas SynthEdit doesn't have the modules to do what is needed in this case. Anyway, this patch takes noise in and outputs MIDI:

http://davidbuckley.name/pix/pd_audio_to_MIDI.jpg

Archived