Very wide screen mapping

smudge1977

I have 50 video panels in a long banner that are 96 pixels wide

This is 4800 pixels wide (by 48 high!!)

The controller takes a 1024x768 input

This means there will be a screen made of 5 rows of 10 panels

i.e. that output will be on a 960 x 240 rectangle

I want to play content on to an output 4800x48 and get it mapped on to the output surface.....

Any ideas people - or should I not use Cat to do this.... It is mainly content loops and maybe some tweets, which can be manually entered!

assuming you want a screen that's physically 1 row of 50 you just set up 5 mixes that are 960 by 48 and stacked vertically offset by 48 above each other and then set the offsets horizontally so when you send content to all 5 mixes its one big virtual output as long as you set the panel controller up correspondingly...

thinking logically you could turn the panels on their side for a 2400 pixel wide by 96 high strip which may be more useful, and you then need to work in vertical rather than horizontal stripes and introduce a 90 degree rotation but its possible....

Thanks for the prompt response - I will have a try at that now :)

Small world - I am on-site at the Emirates arena with a screen at the moment and was working with Scott last night. There is your projectors here on the player entrance - very cool concept :) it looks cool

I'd recommend contacting richard directly as this is something which exact mapping would be useful for... its not a public release as its not fully stable yet. also you need to be careful as your content cant be bigger than (I cant remember the exact number) just over 4000 pixels, so you will have to do some clever mapping to get round that, but shouldn't be an issue since your only 48 pixels high!

It depends on how much control you have in the controller... out of interest what are the panels?

they are 12.5mm pitch smd panels with legs so you can put them at a 10 to 15 degree angle

each panel is 1.2m x .8m so this 4800 pixels will be 60m long or a 50m2 screen!!!

They can also be built in to modular screens and are fairly light at under 40kg a meter square

I am not sure catalyst is the right way to go about this now so wanted something that would appeal to more people! And I think the Catalyst I had available will be out on a different job so may also make it tricky / require a sub hire for doing the job now.

quicktime has a limit of I believe 4k pixels, but that's not an issue as you never actually play a 4800 wide pixels file, as any custom pre-rended video content you would make in such a way that it matches the cut up into 5 bits and pasted onto an xga frame , if you can work after aftereffects, this is straightforward stuff... any "live content" wont be affected by the same issue...

somewhere theres a decent howdidtheydothat article on the deadmaus cube setup where a single sd video has all the content for the different faces of a projection mapped cube, a lo res video wall and some versa tubes, its then played back and send to the different units in catalyst. clever stuff and obviously everythings perfectly in sync...

Moderation: The OP started two virtually identical topics, both receiving replies. I've merged the two together and removed one member's post who spotted the duplication - there really is no need to do this because most members read the forum via the top right view new content button - so will see all new topics

quicktime has a limit of I believe 4k pixels,

no it doesnt...

limit is about 12 megapixels total

I have run movies at 11.5K wide by 100 pixels high

limit is the total megapixel value, not the actual pixel width.

Catalyst can easily do this 4800x96 pixel layout in 4 strips:

using a single layer to playback the natixe resoltion file and

either:

using 4x mix windows with an X ofset on each window

or

using exact mapping to create 4 blocks offset in the same way.

Contact me for details of either...

Regards

Simon

Small world - I am on-site at the Emirates arena with a screen at the moment and was working with Scott last night. There is your projectors here on the player entrance - very cool concept :) it looks cool

Oh hey there Smudge, I was there too, the guy with the scoring system :-)

Heard some good comments about the projector silhouette entrance effect, it went down well and the TV people liked it too!

Ben

ho ho if its a small world, scotland's a tiny part of it. cant take too much credit for the projected effects though other than the gear having our badges on it... Think that Scott deserves that particular plaudit... anyways with regard to catalyst programming I defer to simon in the fact that if he says you can play beyond 4k , you can, however he needs to brush up on the arithmetic as 4800 divided by 4 is still more than 1024 which is why you need 5 mix windows not 4...

Wow - what a small world

Well it seems we are gong to pre render all the graphics now which is the cheapest option - I hate banner adverts as it is never about make an event interesting!!! How good to scroll scores and twitter feeds as well s stupid adverts!!! Still help makes these events happen which pay all our wages I guess!!

Archived