Advice on lighting for a Ten Sing show

Mr. Nobody

Hello.

I need some help with ideas on lighting for a Ten Sing show. I am more of a rock concert style lighting technician where there is a lot of movement and blinking, but in this show there is mostly slow pop songs and I only have two moving lights, as well as some LEDs.

I've been told by the people in charge of the show that, due to the chance of there being someone in the audience with photosensitive epilepsy, I can't change colors or use blinking effects that is faster than 1 hertz.

This also means that I can't tilt/pan the moving lights too fast either.

I am not sure how I could go about making any exciting lighting effects, so ANY ideas or tips is much appreciated! Maybe someone has a link to a video where something similar has been used?

List of all the lights I have available (going to use all LEDs, just not sure how.)

Moving heads:

2 x Chauvet Q-Spot 260

LEDs:

6 x Chauvet SlimPAR 56 or 64 (can't remember which)

4 x Chauvet COLORdash Batten-Tri

3 x Varytec PAR 56 LED

Other lights:

2 x Showtec Sunstrip

4 x Selecon Fresnel 650w

3 x Selecon Fresnel 1000w

Sorry for any bad spelling, I'm Norwegian :)

If it is slow songs then slow down your lighting. Maybe a nice look for verse and change for chorus.

not convinced about this 1hz epileptic twaddle. Fair enough with strobes but colour changes?

movers can do slow moves, sweeps, gentle rotating gobos. You can move while dark to a new position.

just need a bit of thought and don't go mashing for the bump buttons

To add - sometimes (many times) less is more. You are not the star of the show, its the person on stage.

Without sounding selfish, I wouldn't subject the entire design to the 'requirements' of 1 audience member because it MAY trigger a fit. Its hardly like to - but in those terms of thinking would you have to not shine any light in anyone's eyes because it might be too bright and 'blind' them momentarily. Perhaps the audience should be wrapped in cotton wool on the way in....

How ridiculous. Its like telling a chef - you can make bread and butter pudding - but use margarine instead because otherwise it might to fattening . . .

Its hardly a rave but so long as venue management put up the appropriate signage then its covered. That 1 hz thing is a load of rubbish anyway. Its something that some H&S guys read in a book and thinks he knows what he's talking about . Its to do with frequency AND length of time of exposure AND duration of time between exposure. All those attributes TOGETHER if used incorrectly MAY trigger an attack but only in an extreme case.

Just do what you want - but keep strobe effects short and spread out.

Photosensitive Epilepsy is better understood nowadays, but the range of frequencies that can trigger an attack are quite wide. Most seem to consider that 25-30Hz flashing is the real danger area but I did find this information which seems much more broad.

Most people with photosensitive epilepsy are sensitive to 16-25 Hz. Some people may be sensitive to rates as low as 3 Hz and as high as 60 Hz.

Just do what you want - but keep strobe effects short and spread out.

Can I re-iterate the 'spread out'. The brain 'recovery' time between exposures is almost a crucial as the length of each exposure if a fit is not to be induced.

Most epileptics will opt to sit as far back as possible so they can make a quick getaway, but its been shown to actually help because it reduces the field of view.

Thank you all for great information! And I do get your point, LXbydesign, I too think it's quite a nuisance, but I'll just have to work around it, though I'm going to test the waters a bit, try some 3hz color switches (I'm too wild).

Again, thank you! :)

Archived