2tr output on Yamaha M7CL-48

BobbyJ

I'm looking at doing a basic 2tr recording from an M7CL using the 2 tr output, which I'm aware is AES/EBU. I don't have anything that will record that format directly, however the venue also owns an 01V96.

Are the two 'versions' of 2 track digital compatible? I am essentially thinking of using the 01V as a D/A converter. I so rarely have to use 2 tr digital stuff that I'm not upto speed on the different formats, and whether they will talk to each other. Thanks in advance.

AES/EBU and SP/dif are just about compatible. The signal format is the same but AES is balanced and at a higher voltage level than SP/dif. If you think of it a bit like +4dBu balanced audio and -10dBv unbalanced audio, the methods of interfacing them are pretty similar.

Thanks Shez! So as long as I pay close attention to the gain it should work more or less fine? Obviously matching word clocks/sample rates as well! Cheers.

The audio gain has nothing to do with the voltage level of the AES or SPDIF signals. With prerecorded material there may be some differences in data between AES and SPDIF, as SPDIF has copy protection flags, but in your situation the signals will be the same for all intents and purposes. The best solution would be to get an AES to SPDIF transformer, Canare among others makes them. Failing that, an XLR to RCA adapter cable will most likely work.

You will need to clock the 01v to the 2Tr digital input.

Mac

Archived