BSS Soundweb alternative

djmatthill

Hi Guys

As the Title suggests I`m looking for a cheaper alternative the a Soundweb 9088ii.

Basically we need a minimum 2 input , 8 Output DSP with the normal Limiter , X-over , EQ configs.

At a push I could manage with 2 in 4 out as long as the unit offered Mono summing on outputs and individual DSP on each channel.

It is to replace an old BSS 9088ii that died.

I can get a used Soundweb unit for £800ish but don`t to spend so much on what will be essentially a 2nd hand 10 year old piece of kit.

The new BSS London stuff would be great but budget won`t stretch.

I`m looking for suggestions for kit that costs between £200 - £500 either new or high end 2nd hand.

Are the DBX Drive Racks worth considering ? - Iv heard both good and awful comments from people.

Are the Beringher DSP`s worth a look in or are they are bad as most of their other kit (ie- will it last longer than a month?)

The DSP will be used in a fixed installation Nightclub environment with DJ output.

Any suggestions greatly accepted.

Matt

If you really don't mind second hand processors, have a look at Peavey Mediamatrix units. Don't be put off by the Peavey name, they are actually quite nice units. I've got an original X-frame and an X-Frame 88 with an extra 8 in/8 out expansion box which I bought for a job that never happened. Send me a message if you are interested, or want to know more.

The Behringer DCX is actually really good for the money! It's one of their better products. The functionality and PC interface rivals and betters any of the offerings from DBX (in that price bracket anyway!).

They aren't that straightforward to use without a PC. The software is a free download so it's well worth playing with beforehand.

I've been wondering how long it'll be until Behringer replace this unit with a new model under the "new Behringer" line of products. Maybe even a software release for the X32 rack version to give it speaker management properties. It'd be a really powerful piece of kit.

I've been looking recently for a replacement LSM. I'm driving more and more complicated systems and whilst my DCX is good and has lasted the years, it's time for an upgrade, plus the DCX can still be used in my second system. I've been looking at second hand kit, specifically Klark Teknik, but am very wary as I'm struggling to find any useful information or any sources of software downloads. I suspect this is after their swallowing by Behringer.

The unit that I do really like, and was surprised by, was the Sabine Navigator line of products. Very useful little boxes.

Alto do some interesting little LSM's too, though with a choice, I'd go for the Behringer based on functionality.

These 9088 units usually fail in the same manner.it is only a power supply failure.these can be rebuilt and will give you several more years of trouble free usage for a fraction of the cost of a replacement.if you want more info please pm me

Thanks for your posts...

Just a Question on the DCX ....

Does it allow you to treat each of its output channels as individual outputs ?

for example -

Could I configure all the outputs as summed mono outputs with seperate EQ , Limiting and X-over points on each output ?

or am I restricted to pre-set modes 2 Way , 3 Way etc ??

Matt

Does it allow you to treat each of its output channels as individual outputs ?

for example -

Could I configure all the outputs as summed mono outputs with seperate EQ , Limiting and X-over points on each output ?

Yes, you can definitely do this.

There isn't a default preset that works as a decent starting point, so the best option is really just to go through each output page and change the parameters to suit. Be sure to turn off crossover linking first though. (This adjusts the LPF on one output when you adjust the HPF on another, and vice versa)

Hi Matt,

Firstly I have to let you know that the product I am suggesting is one that is distributed by the company that I work for.

The product in question is the Symetrix Jupiter range. there are 4in/4out, 8in/8out and 12in/4out variants.

These processors are not open architecture like the Soundwebs but instead use pre-configured apps. This makes it easy for anyone without any previous experience of the device to walk up and configure it without worrying about dragging and dropping modules and wiring them up.

Below is an example of the processing blocks in one of the apps for the Jupiter 8. As you see, there is a lot available in terms of EQ, dynamics and level control on both the inputs and outputs.

http://www.cuk-audio.com/uploads/images/dual_matrix_mixer_1.png

The processor can be controlled via IP, Symetrix ARC RS485 wall mount controllers or even the in-built webserver which presents a configurable remote control which can be used via a smartphone. In addition there are analogue control ports - very handy for your fire alarm interface.

More info including the configuration software can be found HERE. Feel free to PM me for more info.

Stu

I use eBay purchased Gentner XAP800 DSP processors. They are dirt cheap on the second hand market, very available, reliable as a rock, and have switchable power supplies for 110V/230V. Intended for use in the audio conferencing world, they are matrix mixers (12x12) with eight processing chains that can be flexibly assigned. The audio conferencing stuff is all optional, and when switched off it leaves a box that can mix and do eq (including crossovers) and compression.

These aren't Soundwebs, as in they do not feature a build-it-yourself chain, though I believe the Symetrix product set does do that.

Also, Ateis used to do a box like a Soundweb (ie full flexible DSP, build it yourself) in 8x8, but with knobs on the front as well, the UAP88, at a very decent price, even available from our German friends, but they now only do a networkable range, but there is an 8x8 config available (inputs and outputs scalable in blocks of four), the UAPG2, info from their web site.

Back to the XAP800... my usual setup is stereo FOH crossover to mono sub, and mono bandwidth limited and compressed feed to foyer with paging on top. This is what the windows config software looks like:

http://www.accessgrid.org/agdp/howto/XAP800setup/1.01/pics/xap800flow-screen.jpg.

There are earlier models than the XAP800, I also have a PSR1212, which is very similar, but I cant actually remember what those differences are; when I got the XAP800 I retired the PSR1212, and its going to do house audio routing one day...

Archived