Italian Touring

Genus

Hello everyone.

I'm going on tour to Italy in (eep) about 2 weeks. We're in a world of pre-production hell at the moment struggling to get information from our Italian producer.

However I was hoping that you good folk on the BR might be able to answer a few (probably) dead simple questions.

We're taking some hired kit from the UK, including probably moving lights and control, perhaps a hazer, smoke machine etc.

I was hoping someone might be able to shed light on what power connectors are used in Italian theatre?

Now, I assume they will be using the standard European plug/socket for "normal stuff" but regarding lighting, would it be usual to use 16a Ceeform? Are 15amp round pin plugs used? Is there another connector altogether I have no knowledge of? I ask to make sure we have the requisite connectors/adaptors when we get on-site. I have nightmares of showing up but not being able to plug in the desk or movers *shiver*.

Any other insights from people experienced with touring Italy would be much appreciated. We're in and up in a day on quite a complex show, so really trying to nail down the Pre-pro ASAP.

Many thanks

Genus

PS: I hope I'm not a complete idiot, but I'd just like some peace of mind :)

Wikipedia Entry

It looks like Italy uses a combination of their own type and Schuko (However when I went there on Holiday a few years back I seem to recall Schuko being very dominant)

As Cee17 is a European standard I would be surprised if you didn't see it.

Hope that helps a bit

Couple of simple tips:

- Take a few powerboards with Shuko plugs fitted for your desks, monitors, chargers, etc.

Most venues will have Shuko power points.

- Take a couple of spare powerboards in case the venue has some odd powerpoint. This way you can fit a plug and be done for the day.

The point of these is that you don't have to change everything you bring, just provide your own, normal distribution.

For your movers, all venues will have CEE Form 3phase outlets, probably 63A and 125A.

Again, bring your own power distribution and a distro with CEE Form connectors.

Look through your whole set-up, check what you are bringing and how to set up power distribution with a minimal number of 'feeds'.

Being self-supportive is the solution for touring unknown areas.

You will find most Italian crews very friendly and helpful. Don't expect everyone to speak English and even if they do, double check that they understood rather than interpreted what you were asking.

There will be long lunch breaks, be prepared for that and allow for them in the schedule.

Other than that, enjoy!

Couple of simple tips:

- Take a few powerboards with Shuko plugs fitted for your desks, monitors, chargers, etc.

Most venues will have Shuko power points.

- Take a couple of spare powerboards in case the venue has some odd powerpoint. This way you can fit a plug and be done for the day.

The point of these is that you don't have to change everything you bring, just provide your own, normal distribution.

For your movers, all venues will have CEE Form 3phase outlets, probably 63A and 125A.

Again, bring your own power distribution and a distro with CEE Form connectors.

Look through your whole set-up, check what you are bringing and how to set up power distribution with a minimal number of 'feeds'.

Being self-supportive is the solution for touring unknown areas.

You will find most Italian crews very friendly and helpful. Don't expect everyone to speak English and even if they do, double check that they understood rather than interpreted what you were asking.

There will be long lunch breaks, be prepared for that and allow for them in the schedule.

Other than that, enjoy!

I'm currently sat in the GranTeatro Geox, when doing shows in Italy, we have been asked to provide paperwork showing that our distro meet EC standards (but they've been very vague on which specific standards) and they've also asked us to provide a block diagram showing our electrical runs with rcd and mcbs clearly marked. I assume these very carefully get filed away and turned into compost.

Be prepared to run into CEE sockets that are over rated (eg a 63a tpne that can only supply 25a per phase), protected by fuses rather than mcbs, and potentially not firmly attached to the wall.

Also, bring a set of tails if you need anything more than 32a per phase, get the house tech to tail in, but watch him do it. The same applies to rigging, let the house riggers work, but keep a close eye on them if possible.

Archived