Martin 918 lens options

gyro_gearloose

I've just bought some Martin 918s. In the manual it mentions that there are lens options to make the beam angle wider. Does that involve buying a conversion kit, or will I just need to move some lenses round like you do in the original Mac 250? If I need to buy conversion kits I'm guessing that no one is likely to stock them anymore? In that case can I buy a lens from a lens supplier (Edmund Optics stock a huge range) and make the conversion myself?

Hi,

The 918 is similar to the MAC 500 inside module wise and the way to change to beam angle is to change the focus and front lens out. The following text is lifted from the martin website.

The wide angle kits (23.5° and 30°) for the MAC 500 do not fit in the RoboScan Pro 918. Furthermore, a 30° beam angle is not possible with the Pro 918 due to the mirror size. If a 23.5° angle is wanted for the Pro 918, one can either order a fully assembled 23.5° Pro 918 or modify a 17° fixture with the following parts:

• 62332051, "Front Lens for RS 918 Wide Angle 23.5 d"
  • 62332002, "MAC 500 23.5° focus lens, glued"

To change 23.5° Pro 918s to a 17° beam angle, order and install:

• 62332050, "Achromat Front Lens for RS 918, glued"
  • 62332035, "Focus Lens, Achromat for MAC 500 and Pro 918, glued"

Note: the 23.5° lenses for both fixtures are coated but they are not achromatic.

Hi

Thanks for that. I don't suppose you know how much the 23.5° lens kit costs, do you? I imagine it will be quite expensive, probably costing more than the rest of the light. I've had a quick look at the Edmund Optics website and their single lenses are very expensive, and I can't imagine that Martin made theirs any cheaper.

Hi

Thanks for looking. Given that the lenses aren't available anymore and that bare lenses are quite expensive, I'll knock this idea on the head for now. I'll just have to rig the lights a bit higher to get a wider beam out of them :)

On a slightly related note: Is there an easy way of getting the big plastic cover off? The lens stops the plastic from just lifting off and being slid over the pan/tilt motors.

Hi

Thanks for looking. Given that the lenses aren't available anymore and that bare lenses are quite expensive, I'll knock this idea on the head for now. I'll just have to rig the lights a bit higher to get a wider beam out of them :)

On a slightly related note: Is there an easy way of getting the big plastic cover off? The lens stops the plastic from just lifting off and being slid over the pan/tilt motors.

Once the mirror is removed there should be enough flex in the plastic to get it off over the lens..... If you having issues remove the metel part of the chassis between the plastic cover and the end with the display/PCB and the plastic will then come off easily.

I have some 918's for parts that had a suspiciously wide beam angle at the time. I can check for markings for you.

That would be great if you could. In your spares units do you have any gobos? I could use a few complete sets of the rotating gobos as almost all of mine seem to be missing.

Archived