Soundlab Dimmers

p.k.roberts

I was recently testing some Soundlab, 4 channel dimmer packs and some of them were showing no earth connection to the case. Internal investigation revealed that inside the unit, a double 'spade' terminal had been welded to the case BEFORE the unit was painted. This left a nice layer of insulating paint on the earth tag, even when the female 'spade' on the incoming mains lead was pushed on. On the newer units, the spade terminal has been replaced with a bolt.

Also, the cover of the units was screwed on using 'laquered' screws which provided a 'variable' earth continuity to this part (easily cured with a few shake-proof washers).

If you're using any of these units, might be worth giving them a little check over....

hi,

I have had other problems with the build quality of these dimmers.. live spade connectors not attached to anything.. neutrals not being soldered to the iecs properly..etc

not impressed.. I will go and check mine asap..

thanks

chris

hi,

I did try and contact soundlab but got no response.. thought they'd want to know that there kit was potentialy very dangerous!

unfortunately a couple of 60 quid dimmers is sometimes all you can afford.. especialy when your in the situation like me where everything we do is non-profit (youth events and charity work) and most of the time self funded too!

so if theres anybody out there that wants to give me a couple of nice 6 way DMX dimmers or a fat frog or such like.. please step up ;-)

rgds

chris

as little dj says, you pay 30odd quid for a dimmer, you get 30odd quids worth of build quality!!!!

While I agree with you in part, how the hell can that be an excuse for creating a product which is potentially dangerous, and fails its PAT test based up on manufacturing fault. A fault which appears to be caused by the actual process as apposed to a one off.

Yes, you do get the quality you pay for, but at no point shouuld low-cost products comprimise safety.

I'm sure if it has a CE or suchlike mark it should be pat-tested. I was lead to believe almost all new kit had to pass a pat test before it could be sold. Or rather anything under a year old didn't need to be PAT tested.

Archived