QLabv3 and Live Camera

maeterlinck

Hi all,

I've been googling and searched the BR, but a lot of the posts appear pre QLabv3. I've used QLab for sound and VT before but not with live cameras.

So the setup for this show will be camera in grid, with a cable run of up to 15m. Single projector. QLab version 3 to play sound, VT and live camera feed.

So the quesions are:

- Which cameras play nicely with QLab?

- Which cameras work using the Quartz Composer work around?

- How well does the work around work? (any pitfalls or problems?)

- How easy is the work around? (I'm happy setting it up, but leave the show with an SM to run and move the show)

Thanks for any help!

You're probably best browsing the Qlab google group, and the Qlab3 wiki on the figure 53 site. They tend to have a list of tried and tested hardware, made by end users of the software.

When you say quartz composer work around, what do you mean? Qlab3 has I think moved away from it's dependancy on quartz composer, and is now using syphon I believe. But it can now do some of the clever stuff itself (keystone, edge blending etc) Again, check the figure53 pages for more info.

If you use a USB/firewire video interface you'd be able to use any camera with an appropriate video output. I see blackmagic designs mentioned quite a lot on the list as hardware that people use.

Nei

So the quesions are:

- Which cameras play nicely with QLab?

- Which cameras work using the Quartz Composer work around?

- How well does the work around work? (any pitfalls or problems?)

- How easy is the work around? (I'm happy setting it up, but leave the show with an SM to run and move the show)

Thanks for any help!

The correct place to ask these questions in the qlab mailing list, or just ask support@figure53.com who are extremely helpful.

However:

- Anything that looks like a Fireware camera will work, however due to compression and decompression to DV the latency will be 2-4 frames.

- Any blackmagic device will also directly with much lower latency.

- The 'Quartz Composer Workaround' is for things which don't look like DV cameras or are not blackmagic devices. Mainly USB webcams which don't present the right interface to be seen as a camera.

See

http://wiki.figure53.com/QLab+Hints+and+Tips#x-Use%20Quartz%20Composer%20to%20access%20non-DV%20cameras%20%28USB%20etc.%29

You'll need Quartz Composer, which means you need a Apple Developer Account (Free) and to download it, note it's not bundled with Xcode anymore and is a developer download in one of the additional tools bundles.

The best way to do a live camera is to do it via a blackmagic capture box of some kind.

Archived