RCF 4Pro

lightsource

Hi all, looking at investing in the RCF 4Pro series of speakers, and it'll be a reasonable investment (£20K)

Looking at purchasing 8x 4PRO 8003AS subs, and 8x 4PRO 4003-A mid tops, plus a few of the smaller cabs in this range for some of the smaller shows.

Q1, What are your opinions on these cabs. I feel they are good value for money, but would be interested in other opinions, at a similar spec / price point.

Q2, My major gripe with RCF is their repair policy, and how they execute it. Anyone have experience of this, could be expensive in the long run!

Re Q2:

You seem to be a professional soundman, with this kind of equipment and budget. Add a driverack or something like that and you can protect your speakers reasonably well. Then, repairs should not be so much of an issue.

Norbert

My first concern with lashing out that amount of money on a system is that the RCF site says the cabs are discontinued http://www.rcf.it/products/pro-speaker-systems/4pro-series/4pro-4003-a the 8's appear to be current. There are a lot of cabinets out there which could suit your applications personally I prefer 12" and Horn with an 18" Sub as opposed to 15" and am an HK fan. As to sevice there warranty is handled by a firm in Hertfordshire which is a long way from you I have no reason to question their abilities or level of service but I would be looking for a more local distributor for my support.

As to sevice there warranty is handled by a firm in Hertfordshire which is a long way from you I have no reason to question their abilities or level of service….

I have used this firm (Ampman Audio Services) and been very pleased with the service.

Are you planning to use all these top cabs in two stacks? I.e four per side? Or is this intended to be used as four independent systems. My reason for asking, is because these cabs have a 90 degree horizontal dispersion. If you want a system that will array well with four cabs per side then you should be looking for something with a narrower dispersion. If you want a system that can be used with just one top cab per side, then maybe this is the right system for you. I personally don't like 2-way FOH systems that have 15" mids and big CD horns covering the high mids. I think this arrangement is fine for a monitor system but for FOH I would prefer a three-way system with a 12" low-mid, 8" or 6" hi-mid and a 1" HF. As for suggesting suitable alternatives, it would be helpful to know what you intend to use it for.

Cheers for all the replies.

My first concern with lashing out that amount of money on a system is that the RCF site says the cabs are discontinued http://www.rcf.it/pr...ies/4pro-4003-a the 8's appear to be current. There are a lot of cabinets out there which could suit your applications personally I prefer 12" and Horn with an 18" Sub as opposed to 15" and am an HK fan. As to sevice there warranty is handled by a firm in Hertfordshire which is a long way from you I have no reason to question their abilities or level of service but I would be looking for a more local distributor for my support.

That explains why I couldn't find the mid tops when I was looking for them yesterday on a suppliers site, will have to dig deeper, as I'm not interested in cabs that are being discontinued, as I'm not looking to purchase the whole lot in one go, was looking to do 4 subs and 4 mid tops in 2 batches over a few months.

The subs are 1x18.

As to sevice there warranty is handled by a firm in Hertfordshire which is a long way from you I have no reason to question their abilities or level of service….

I have used this firm (Ampman Audio Services) and been very pleased with the service.

Problem is Mark, that 90% of our repairs are done in-house, with the remaining 10% done at a repair shop just a few miles away from our location, so shipping costs are an issue.

Also, from what I've been led to believe, RCF don't release any circuit diagrams for their products, repairs have to be done by their agents, so if there were any crispy critters on a PCB, wouldn't be able to identify the part.

Are you planning to use all these top cabs in two stacks? I.e four per side? Or is this intended to be used as four independent systems.

2-4 seperate systems.

I agree with the comments regarding the mid-tops, but these PA's will be mainly used in a nightclub / student environment, so prefer the 2x15 approach, as is can all be ratchet strapped together to stop the little drunken angels hurting themselves ;)

We're a general Sound / Lighting hire business, that does everything from acoustic gigs to medium size festivals, and everything inbetween, hence why I intended to purchase some of the smaller mid-tops in addition.

Archived