Magnum 650 reliability

Stuart91

Our venerable Sharky smoke machines have finally died. I was quite cross until I thought about it and realised that they have been in my hire stock for over a decade.

I'm looking to replace them, and it would be nice if these new machines had a similar lifespan. The closest current equivalent is the Martin Magnum 650, which looks perfect for the small dry hires that these machines are likely to be doing. The thing I'm unsure about is the reliability. The Sharkies were excellent, but we had real trouble with 24/7 hazers, and I've not really experienced any other current Martin smoke machines.

I was wondering if anyone on the forum could comment on the reliability of the Magnum 650s? Are they going strong in your hire stock? Or are you needing to unclog them every time they're used? Any irritating "gotchas" that might trip up novice users?

As with any smoke machine you should really clean them every ten hours - but who does that in reality. Do you go to site and use these yourself or do you hire them out to an end user? If it's the latter then they won't really last that long whereas if you use the kit yourself then you are more likely to look after them and eek a little more life from them than your average hire user.

David.

I have had a pair of magnum 650's for about 3 years now.

Always used the Martin Pro Smoke Super fluid, and they are always out on dry hires. They may get used for a few weekends in a row, and then just sit there for a month or two before being used again. Thus Far they have been faultless. And I found a standard 10" DJ Mixer case fits them perfectly, so a nice super cheap casing solution.

Archived